Latest news from a part-tiem regular

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Latest news from a part-tiem regular

Postby rosemary johnson » Tue 04 May 2010 9:58 pm

Update:
back to the hospital today.
took a&e two hours to "walk me round" to the normal cinic.
Once there, a nice young man called Alex said that yes, there was a bit more stitch worked free and poking out - doubtless that was why it felt like grit in my eye all yesterday and this morning.
He then cut out the remaining bits of the stitch at the slit lamp there and then - HOORAY!!!!!!
It is now all gone!!!! fouble hooray.
So I'm no longer a walking exhibition of That Certain Surgeon's previous embroidery.
What's more, the removal was remarkably quick and easy and un-troublesome.
I saw some of the bits - like teeny threads of dark fluff onthe corner of a tissue.
And the eye feels much better - a bit uncomfortable, but no longer gritty and nothing like so sore.
Hooray, hooray, hooray.
I have more eye drops - yet another sort of antibiotic, and some non-steroid anti=inflammatories.
Going back in about a month for a check up - assuming don't have to rush back to a&e before then, but all feels much more promising.
How vision will turn out remains to be seen. Alex not at all surprised vision was very odd as the bit where the stitch was broken has indeed changed shape where the rest hadn't.
Will let yous all know of any further developments.
Meanwhile, virtual drinks and/or cake and/or chocolates all round - I'm celebrating!!!!
Rosemary

Barbara Davis
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Barbara Davis » Tue 04 May 2010 10:32 pm

Great News! A slice of that choccy cake please........ and my fingers are crossed that that problem, at least, has been resolved.
Barbara

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Sat 08 May 2010 12:52 pm

Cake of all sorts definitely welcome these days....
Anyone here ever heard of, or better still used, levofloxacin?
Eye drops - brand name Oftaquix, comes in bottles with benzalconium p chloride preservative, or in single-use vials preservative free?
M<y eyelid feels fine no - no more rubbing over loose scratchy stitch ends.
Worked a 16 hour shift (!) in a polling station on Thursday, dutifully slipping out (by rota/arrangement) every two hours to put more drops in.
And the eye that started out the day not-too-bad was as the day went on getting more and more red, sore, puffy and exuding ore yellow goo.
After a while, I decided I was having a bad reaction to the eye drops.
Had similar reaction last summer to a type of eye drops called Opatanol, supposedly to reduce red sre swollen eye caused by hay fever.
Have gone back to the chloramphenical ointment the first guy I saw in A&E gave me.
Eye now much better - stilla bit sticky, but the ointment is sticky.
Levofloxicin in apparently a fluoroquinolone antibiotic - I'm wondering if that is anything related tot he ...quino... things found in malaria tablets.
I'm now pretty sure I have found yet another medecine to put on the no-no list cos I'm either allergic, or at least had bad reactions, to it.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Before anyone ask.... we had theat at timat times that at one point went out of the door to to school hall and up the corrdior, but never out the main door into the school playground.
And no-one there from 10 to 10 in the evening except us staff.
Meanwhile...
I have had a very odd message on my moile phone voicemail - "reminding" me about an appointment I didn't know I had at a completely different hospital in an eye treatment centre I didn't know existed (and i certainly don't know where it is).
Very odd....!
Rosemary

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby melissa » Mon 10 May 2010 2:37 pm

hi rosemary,
i hope it gets better soon. i also had a few broken stitches- first 2 of the individual stitches and then a break on the continuous stitch. my surgeon told me that it was a good sign, that the stitches broke when they were no longer needed. after the second break in the continuous he took the remainder out under local (drops) using the slit lamp in his office. was pretty stressful trying to keep my eye still but i got through it okay. after each of the stitch removals it was a bit painful for a few days and i was on drops, but after they were all out my vision stabilised nicely and i was able to get a pair of glasses....

Return to “General Discussion Forum”