Alternative to Miraflow cleaner

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

sophietw
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Re: Alternative to Miraflow cleaner

Postby sophietw » Mon 23 Aug 2010 8:42 pm

Hello,

I have been using a Miraflow copy-cat called 'Crystal Cleaner', which is very similar indeed, and alcohol-based just like Miraflow. It works just as well. Your optom can get it from a contact lens manufacturer called No.7. Moorfields are also now stocking it. Hope that helps!

By the way, to those of you who use Boston solutions- Boot's own RGP solution is Boston inside the bottle...just a little 'heads up'!

Sophie
email: sophie@brightoncontactlensclinic.co.uk

husainweb
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby husainweb » Tue 07 Sep 2010 9:24 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I've been using Regard RGP with my scleral lenses for about a month now. The lenses are nowhere near as comfortable as they were when using Miraflow so either I'm not using the Regard RGP product properly or it isn't much good. In any case, I picked up the Boots own label cleaner yesterday (no idea who manufactures it for them) and have found that my lenses are comfortable again. I won't be going back to Regard RGP until I can get some further advice on how best to use it. I'm happy to go with other cleaners but recall having problems with them when I wore corneal lenses.

Some people say they can still get Miraflow online - care to share???

HW

husainweb

Postby husainweb » Tue 07 Sep 2010 9:31 pm

BTW www.lenscatalogue.co.uk reckon they have Miraflow in stock. I've just made an order but it could be like the last company that said they had it - they called me to say they'd be giving me a refund because they couldn't get the stuff :-(

SH

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Postby rosemary johnson » Sun 12 Sep 2010 10:18 pm

I use exactly what the makers of my contact lenses say they use themselves to clean the lenses they make:
washing up liquid.
Mine are sclerals, so I rinse them off, wipe dry and store dry. They are made of RGP material and come from Innovative Sclerals in Hertford.
I expect there will now be a rush of posts from apoplectic optoms.....
As regards Miraflow: I presume this is the stuff in the little bottles that (for sclerals that have been stored dry, anyway) serves as both cleaner and wetter in one? I tried it a while back, then went back to Boston wetting solution. I found the Miroflow a bit fiddly (I teneded to rinse it too well and have to start again,) but got the hang of it.
I gave up becasuse of its volatile alcohol-based solvent smell - not good under my nose early inthe morning because of my asthma (it's set off by chemical solvent smells).
I've still got some of the bottles. Anyone'd who'd like them is welcome to them- though they may be past expiry date by now, if you're at all bothered by that (personally, I seldom if ever look and have never found it a problem, but I know some people are particular).
Rosemary

husainweb

Postby husainweb » Tue 21 Sep 2010 7:29 pm

I've been using my newly acquired stock of Miraflow for a week now and can finally wear my lenses for more than 4 hours in one go.
The bottles are different from how they looked when it was sold here in the UK and it does say very clearly "for all soft contact lenses" but they're working a treat on my scleral lenses. I'm very happy indeed and recommend www.lenscatalogue.co.uk (even if they did take a while to deliver the stuff).

athomson

Postby athomson » Thu 07 Oct 2010 8:40 pm

I've been provided with EYEYE Crystal Cleaner as a replacement by the Royal Glamorgan Hospital. I've not tried it yet but I here it should be a direct replacement.

I've used Regard RGP also, which appears to do the job but is less viscous than Miraflow, and feels less comfortable to me.

I'm hoping the EYEYE Crystal Cleaner is good. With Miraflow I get away with 14 hours per day of use - which I'm told is very lucky.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 07 Oct 2010 8:42 pm

athomson

Welcome to the forum! 14 hours a day is more than lucky, it's astounding wear time. Well done!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”