Private or NHS for Contact Lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Private or NHS for Contact Lenses

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 19 Apr 2010 7:59 am

I was in Gratnavel recently on business. Riding the lift back down to the ground floor I wondered if there would be any point calling round to the contact lens clinic to see if my lens had arrived. It had been ordered three days earlier.

I decided not to bother, it was surely too soon.

When I got home there was a card waiting for me: my lens had arrived and could be collected. That taught me a lesson: if it isn't going to cost you anything to check, then check, even if you are persuaded that there is no point!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Mon 19 Apr 2010 6:02 pm

Don't worry Andrew there is a note in my diary to check that the lenses are in before I go to my next appointment in five weeks time.

I was so looking forward to getting the new lenses tomorrow. When I tried the lenses two months ago the vision and comfort seemed really promising but the three moth wait to get them is ........ not good.

Lia

Graeme Stevenson
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Graeme Stevenson » Mon 19 Apr 2010 6:16 pm

Lia

Scleral lenses are indeed very "special" lenses and it is no surprise to wait 4 weeks for such a lens. They can work very well in complex cases band I do hope they work well for you.

Gareth

I understand where you are coming from with your explanation although such "excuses" from the NHS are unacceptable. 1 week to process the order?It takes less than 1 minute to telephone or email the supplier with the order!It would generally take 1 week to get the lens to the hospital from the manufacturer. Perhaps a further 2-3 days to get the lens to the patient although many manufacturers will post the lens direct to the patient if requested to do so.

Perhaps I dont understand the complexities of the NHS but I personally spend much of my "own" time ordering contact lenses and ancilliary items for my patients.

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Mon 19 Apr 2010 7:59 pm

Graeme,

The lenses I'm getting are corneo-scleral RGP lenses, not scleral lenses. When the optometrist mentioned a larger lens I too thought she was referring to scleral lenses. The corneo-scleral RGP lenses are about the same size as soft lenses but are rigid.

Lia

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Thu 17 Jun 2010 11:52 am

I went to collect my new lenses last month but unfortunately they were not a good fit so I came away without them. I'm not too sure what the problem was but several photographs were taken of my eyes wearing the lenses so that the fit can be tweaked. I go back in August ( a TEN week wait for the next available appointment) to try another pair. Hopefully they will be OK but the optometrist didn't seem too hopeful. Meanwhile I'm enjoying the benefits of unintentional monovision.

Lia

GavinD
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby GavinD » Mon 05 Jul 2010 2:08 pm

Hi Vrinder,

I started with NHS and paid £90 as an annual maintenance cost. However I found that the person that fitted the lens did not have much variety of lens to choose from and basically told me to get used to the ones that she had given me.
I have now gone private and been referred to a very good contact lens fitter but my insurance company do not cover the cost of contact lens fitting or supply. With the cost for the lenses being £300 plus £90 for the consultation this is obviously a lot more expensive. However, he was much more willing to spend time in trying a few different types of lenses and had much more knowledge of new types of lenses and was willing to call for help when certain lenses didn'twork.

Gavin

saracunity

Postby saracunity » Tue 19 Apr 2011 11:13 pm

NHS is total waste of time. Its nearly 2 months but still I am not able to get my appointment letter with NHS.
At this time I gone for NHS and attended A & E department. But they told this is not emergency as your eyes are losing vision slowly.
Then i gone for private clinic which i found in this website. The clinic is situated in Barry, Wales.
Initial charge for testing my eyes is £40
Then i paid £230 for contact lenses ( both eyes ) including contact lens solution.

But still my contact lenses not able to give me good vision they are same as my old contact lenses.
I got my appointment on 28th and i want to upgrade my contact lens.

But its tough with RGP contact lenses. What to do no other go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 20 Apr 2011 8:36 am

saracunity

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry that you are having such a difficult time with your NHS clinic, but I wonder whether you may have approached NHS ophthalmology in an unorthodox way?

I know it takes time, but a referral from your GP will get you to the consultant ophthalmologist who holds the keys to the NHS contact lens clinic (sometimes these are in the same hospital and sometimes they are contracted out to a high street optometrist).

You should not need to pay more than about £54 per lens, and if you need a new lens within 12 months due to a change in your prescription or the fit of your lens, the next one is free.

As to the style of lens and the lens material, the experienced optometrist whom you see in the NHS system will be able to assess how well or badly any lens is working, and should be able to keep trying until the right combination of lens style and material has been found to suit your eye.

Every good wish

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

saracunity

Postby saracunity » Mon 25 Apr 2011 5:31 pm

hi

I am sitting infront my laptop for long hours almost all day.

Can i use glass spectacles which protects my eyes from the laptop light.

The case is iam also wearing RGP contact lenses for eyes and is it possible to use both lens and glass at the same time?

If yes where I am able to get the glasses?

Thank you

Return to “General Discussion Forum”