Having to receive Corneal graft?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

xloz69x
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Having to receive Corneal graft?

Postby xloz69x » Sun 12 Sep 2010 3:16 pm

iop ? sorry for all the silly questions all

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 12 Sep 2010 3:23 pm

Intra Ocular Pressure (the relative pressure inside your eye as compared to the environment. This goes up and down according to activity, but if it gets to high after surgery you might pop your sutures.

No need to apologize: I tend to become lazy in our use of jargon. It does me good to be reminded that some people still think in English! :D

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

xloz69x
Contributor
Contributor

Postby xloz69x » Sun 12 Sep 2010 8:19 pm

anyone who has had this done, how long did u wait on waiting list before getting transplant ? thanks :)

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Sun 12 Sep 2010 9:31 pm

Hi xloz69x!
I think the time off work post-graft depends on:
1. the type of gr anaesthetic you have
2. what type of work you do
3. the type of graft and how well it settles
4. maybe the surgeon's preferences.
If you have a general anaesthetic, you will need some type off to get over feeling groggy from the anaesthetic. I was told to allow two weeks off work. In fact, I had a very very nasty bad reaction to the general anaesthetic and am nothing like healthy again even now (graft was over two years ago).
I wen tback to work 13 days post-graft - sitting at an office desk pushing paper around - and ended up in A&E! long story.
When I had mine, I had to go back tot he hospital the following day (tI went home the same night) for a check up.
If you have had the graft under local and thigns are going OK, and you work in an office doing work that is not physically demanding, there's no reason you shuld not be back there the next day - so long as you take it easy and don't try to move furniture/fi the photocopier!
If you do a job that involves lots of lifting/pushing an dpulling or other physical exertion, it will take longer. I also look after horses and wasn't allowed to be lifting hay bales or water buckets, or pushing full wheelbarrows up the muck heap (!!) for ages.
I had follow-up appointmnets the next day and a week after the graft - and then should have had one a month post-graft, but after the op went so badly wrong I aske dfor a new consultant and it took ages for anything to happen about this,.
A couple of other things that may affect when you can return to work:
1. you mustn't get dust or dirt into the graft - so if you work in a dusty environment you'll need longer off. Most offices are OK for this, I'd think.
2. many of us find the grafted eye is quite light sensitive for a while, and are going round in dark glasses. Yu could of course wear the eye patch they'll give you, with something dark over if the light sensitivity is really bad, but if there's a lot of light from computers, strips lights or whatever, you might like to give it a while.
You'll also need to be putting eye drops in regularly, at first hourly. , and you'll probably start with the sort that have to be kept in the fridge wnce opened. Again, in an ordinary office, this should be too much of a problem.
Hope this helps.
Rosemary

xloz69x
Contributor
Contributor

Postby xloz69x » Sun 12 Sep 2010 9:52 pm

thank you very much it does help, im just trying to find out as much as i can about it incase this is what is going to happen, then i have all the info and know what kind of questions to ask, my next appointment isnt until the 27th October so guess i will know better by then what will be happening. I work in an office so wouldnt be doing any heavy lifting lol but the computer was my main concern lol will just need to be like a rockstar and wear sunglasses inside. Dont know if i am getting ahead of myself as i say i wont find out til next visit what is happening but i like to be prepared, and my doctor seems to think that this will be the next step.

im not that brilliant after general anesthetic, was in hospital with kidney stones and coped but wasnt good.
Mind you id rather that than kidney stones !

Im so glad i picked up a card at the docs with this website on it, has been a great help and its good to just speak to other people who have KC as i had never heard of it before i was diagnosed, and i dont know anyone with it. i have also checked out the KC gb facebook page, that was also good as it let me show my hubby what i meant about driving in the dark. although driving at all is now not an option. Will kinda miss it, but these things happen.

Thank you again to everyone who has replied to my posts :D

Return to “General Discussion Forum”