Looking left and Right with RGP Lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Alexander_O
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Looking left and Right with RGP Lenses

Postby Alexander_O » Sun 28 Mar 2010 3:48 am

recently got fitted and the left lens, and apart from seeming a bit sluggish after blinking (i remember reading someone had a similar issue in a previous), they are doing magic with my vision! :D im finding it difficult to put them in as its my first time with any kind of lens, but ive only had mine for a week so im gonna keep at it! ....one thing im finding hard to get used to is looking left and right...its a very "unsettling feeling" when i attempt to look left/right without turning my head, but i was told this is the norm when wearing contacts? what are your experience with this?

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Looking left and Right with RGP Lenses

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 28 Mar 2010 8:06 am

:D I just got used to turning my head! Actually combining eye movement and head turning is not such a problem, and in time I got used to the sensation when eye movement alone was used.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Sun 28 Mar 2010 9:25 am

Hi there!

Yes this is a very common feeling! It is very worrying at first to move your eyes suddenly as you do feel as if the lenses are going to fall out!! It just takes some time to get used to the feeling of having a foreign object in your eye. It does get better so do keep practising!

Best of luck with it! Love Claire X x X
Sweet X x X

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Loopy-Lou » Sun 28 Mar 2010 8:46 pm

harder with RGP's as well because looking left/right quickly the lens doesn't move completely in synch with the eye!

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Mon 29 Mar 2010 2:38 pm

I had this with my RGP's and if I did look too far left or right, the lens would just fall out, nightmare when you are driving with one lens down a motorway and it falls out!

No longer a problem with the Kerasoft IC lenses I now wear, there is no lag time from rapid eye movemnets in any direction, imposible for me to blink out, no dust under the lens, ultra comfortable and I wear them all my waking hours and a couple weeks ago I wore them for 19 straight hours for three consectutive days before returning to my more normal 14 - 16 hours lens wear.

We all find certain lenses work better than others, but like you say, early days but there are always alternatives if needs be.
Gareth

jamiemwhite
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby jamiemwhite » Mon 29 Mar 2010 10:07 pm

can anyone tell me can u get better vission with the kerasoft ic lence or are kerasoft 3 just the same. i know the kerasoft ic gives a better fit to ic but can u get a stronger and better perscription into them or is it the same apart from the way its fitted. thanks jamie

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Tue 30 Mar 2010 11:44 am

The designs to the lenses are distinctly different he Kerasoft IC is a more advanced soft lens than the Kerasoft 3.

That said, there is no single perfect lesn for everyone, for me the Kerasoft 3 matched the performance of an RGP lens with the addition of 90% increase in wear time and a 100 % improvent on comfort. The Kerasoft IC has gone one step further in that instead of matching the aquity of the RGP lens, it now exceeds it and I get 6/4 rather than 6/5.

The hospitals and optoms I know that are fitting Kerasoft lenses in most cases fit the Kerasoft IC lens first because of the number of permeatations available to get the best fit.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”