does this happen to you too?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

leili
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

does this happen to you too?

Postby leili » Sun 21 Mar 2010 7:37 pm

Hey freinds;

I found out a somehow wierd thing about my eyes, I was shy to ask my ophthalmolosit if this is common or not, with slight pressure on my cheeks or around my eyes I experience dramatic changes in my vision, I mean when I push hard enough around my eyes (not on my eye ball,mostly on my cheeks) I even can see clearly without spectacles, I guess this is related to change in configuration of cornea, but I have concerns that it may make my IOP to rise, anybody out there with any ideas or similar experinces? Waiting to here from you!

Best wishes

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: does this happen to you too?

Postby Sweet » Sun 21 Mar 2010 7:58 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

I don't know about increasing the eye pressure, but I find that if I pull the corners of my right eye I see better. I think that this is because it changes the shape of the eye and the distance between the retina. It doesn't work on my left eye though which is the worst one!

Claire X x X
Sweet X x X

MartinC
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby MartinC » Sun 21 Mar 2010 8:27 pm

isn't this effectively just the same as squinting? If I recall my physics lessons ( a long time ago) you will be just affecting the angle at which light enters your eye and therefore slightly re-focusing it, much like a pin hole would (have you ever looked through a pin hole?)

Fordy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Fordy » Mon 22 Mar 2010 10:59 am

Leili,

Yes I do find I can improve vision in this way, but when I mentioned this many years ago to an optician I was told never to do this as it could cause further damage, and as Martin said you can get the same effect looking through a pin hole.

cheers

leili
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leili » Mon 22 Mar 2010 6:38 pm

Fordy

Thank you for sharing your experinece. So I better not do that!

Best

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Loopy-Lou » Wed 24 Mar 2010 11:51 pm

I used to do something similar when my KC was very bad in my youth. For a while TV was watchable if I sat with my index finger pressed against my lower eyelid against my eye. I assume this altered the shape of the cornea. I've never told anyone this before, infact I wouldn't even have thought of it unless I'd read this post!

leili
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leili » Thu 25 Mar 2010 4:23 pm

Loopy-lou

That is exactly what I was talking about, I can even get a very clear vision without glasses by pressing my eye lead but I did it for only a few brief moments as I am afraid it would put extra pressure on my cornea, Thanks for sharing your story

Cheers

Jessy

Postby Jessy » Thu 25 Mar 2010 10:14 pm

Hi Leili , i think what you observe is pretty normal ,the optician who first diagnosed my keratoconus ,said to me "read the chart please" which i did only to be told ,"yes thats very good ,now read it with your eyes open ", he then reffered me to the hospital and we all know the rest ! ,(I had sqinted for 18 years since early teens) i too can push my eyes to bring them into focus , and if i read the chart with no lens in my left i cant read the first letter but through the pinhole i can read all except the last line! . Being an engineer i always think this push to focus procedure must be the first step to a cure ,based on the principal of mapping the cornea and then mathmatically calculating where to apply some stitches to reshape the eyeball to hold the cornea in a more uniform shape ,bet your all now saying thank goodness his not an eye surgeon :lol:

leili
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leili » Thu 25 Mar 2010 10:51 pm

Hi Jessy;

In fact I was thinking that this could be the key to cure as my left eye which has a very poor vision without spectacles can see quite perfect with my reshaping the cornea! But as I am not an engineer I couldnt stretch my imaginations to the point you could!
cheers

Return to “General Discussion Forum”