Accuvision - C3R

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Ciaron

Accuvision - C3R

Postby Ciaron » Thu 11 Mar 2010 1:55 pm

Hi,

Just found this page so wanted to get peoples advice/thoughts. I have KC in both eyes which is slowly deteriorating, however is still at the point where I can have C3R done. Discovered that accuvision near me does the treatment. So two questions really.

1) Is the treatment worthwhile? Or should I try contacts again (I struggle with hard lenses)
2) Are Accuvision good enough to trust with this kind of thing?

C

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Accuvision - C3R

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 11 Mar 2010 3:38 pm

Hello Ciaron and welcome to the forum,
You need to bear in mind that crosslinking is designed to stop the progression of KC, not to improve the vision, so you may well still need contact lenses after the treatment. There are people on this forum who have had the procedure done at Accuvision, so I hope they'll reply to your post.
Anne

Ciaron

Postby Ciaron » Thu 11 Mar 2010 6:34 pm

Was looking at having intacs done afterwards, however wanted to see what the thoughts on C3R and specifically Accuvision before paying it for.

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Thu 11 Mar 2010 7:58 pm

Hi Ciaron,

I see a lot of patients after cross linking and most of them have INTACs done BEFORE CXL. The logic behind this is that if you want to reshape your corneas, its best to start that off before you go through CXL which then stiffens the cornea up.

If you are deteriorating and still have enough corneal thickness to have CXL safely, then cross linking will help, based on the evidence so far. The process itself is not complicated so most centres get it right!! What may be more subject to variation is the INTACs procedure which requires more skill. However, whichever organisation you choose, it all comes down to the individual surgeon you are dealing with. My advice, if you are not sure, is to get another opinion and compare how you feel talking to both surgeons. Choosing somewhere for this sort of surgery because it is close to where you live is not the best basis for a decision!

Good luck!

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

Ciaron

Postby Ciaron » Fri 12 Mar 2010 8:16 am

Can still have the CXR however was advised my cornea was too thin atm for intacs. Being down to about 300 microns now.

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Fri 12 Mar 2010 8:55 am

Ahhh!

Theoretically, that is also rather thin for CXL. I presume you are having this done with hypotonic swelling of the cornea as well then?

Also, just as a general point, the information you just gave changes the way I or anyone else would respond to your initial question. Everyone's situation is different and most people posting on here will only give a very small part of their "story" when asking for "advice". So in fact when you ask is such and such OK for this or that, really, the answer always has to be "it depends"!

It depends on what your current situation is like, what you expect to to achieve, what treatment you have had before, what various consultants or optometrists have said before, what examinations you have had and the results and so on!

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

djain3
Contributor
Contributor

Postby djain3 » Fri 12 Mar 2010 10:26 am

Hi Ciaron,

C3R help to stop the progression of KC as said earlier and INTACS give you the vision clarity.

I myself have gone through it. It is not a complex surgery but still there are chances of infection in intial one week. For which they provide lots of antibiotic eye drops.

I heard that there are more chances of infections with INTACS procedure but some people are quite happy with this.

So, think about it and do what you feel is good for you.

Regards,
DJ

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 12 Mar 2010 2:41 pm

Ciaron

All the best with this. Many surgeons will not offer CXL where the corneal thickness is below 400 microns. Your clinic seems confident to offer it with a corneal thickness 25% below that threshold.

As Lynn has said, you are the one who has to make your choice.

Every good wish.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Amarpreet
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Amarpreet » Sat 13 Mar 2010 12:02 am

Hi

I've had my crosslinking done from Accuvision - they're VERY GOOD! I'd recommend them to anyone!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”