Vision clarity with Glasses in right eye

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

djain3
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Vision clarity with Glasses in right eye

Postby djain3 » Tue 09 Mar 2010 10:44 am

Hi,

My right eye is bad eye and left is better. I can read and see with left eye after using glasses.

But right eye doesn't work with glasses. I know RGP or other soft lenses like Kerasoft can give the required clarity and vision.

But I was wondering about one thing. When I try to read from a distance of approximate 6 inches, I am able to read most of the stuff even with righe eye.

So, here goes my question. Can't I get such number of my glasses for right eye so that I can get the vision the way I can get from a distance of 6 inches.

I raise this question to my doctor but didn't get a proper answer.

Please advise.

Regards,
Deepak

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Vision clarity with Glasses in right eye

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 09 Mar 2010 1:19 pm

You are clearly very short sighted and the distortion caused by your cone is compensated by the short distance of the page from your eye. My optometrist used to describe this sort of vision as 'lacemakers' sight': the point being that people who made lace for a living had to be able to see well at close quarters in order to create the intricate and delicate patterns of knots that made the lace.

People with 'normal' vision would not be able to focus on anything as close as you describe.

So, why can't you find a mixture of lenses and or glasses that would give you distance vision as good as your close-up sight? I guess that part of the difference has to do with the part of your eye that you are using. When we look at something very close our vision is focused on the central part of our overall field of sight. As we look further away we use more of our eye, so the distortion we see becomes more and more intrusive.

All the best.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”