itch itch, rub rub, oooo free fireworks

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

itch itch, rub rub, oooo free fireworks

Postby space_cadet » Thu 04 Mar 2010 11:24 am

I wasn't aware just how much I apparently and clearly rub my eyes until yesterday. They have been beyond itchy recently, would quite happliy remove them both and never both again as fed up of feeling like regardless of how much I rub them the itch is still there, so dried out and eating eyedrops yadda yadda.

I spent monday - wednesday at a nus (national union of students) disabled students conference in Manchester and met up with other activists from aorund the UK someof whom I have known for nearly 3 years, one in particular I knew prior to becoming a student so known him aorund 7.

Yesterday morning he decided for some reason he wanted to findout how many times a hour I am averaging rubbing my eyes, decided this witout telling me and sat a d observed me, apparently in one hour I was rubbing them over 30x (and I wonder why nothing gets done with my days, just writtig this I have had to take breaks to go itch itch - rub)

The downside of the rubbing is it results in a free starbursting firework show and literally seconds of relief.

now time for more eye drops and to get sorted and head up to uni.

*note to self QUIT itching* x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

djain3
Contributor
Contributor

Re: itch itch, rub rub, oooo free fireworks

Postby djain3 » Thu 04 Mar 2010 12:34 pm

Even I used to do rubbing my eye

But 6-7 months back when I read that a KC patient MUST NOT RUB EYE to avoid further worst condition

After that i have almost stopped rubbing my eye.

Regards,
Deepak

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Thu 04 Mar 2010 12:52 pm

Iv read the same but cant seem to stop myself which is driving me most annoyed about it. x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 04 Mar 2010 1:52 pm

What I do when I get an urge to rub my eyes is either to flood my eye with some preservative free articifial tears (I use Clinitas Soothe), or I sometimes get my eye bag (a mask filled with flax seeds). 30 seconds in the microwave and the bag remains warm for up to ten minutes, I lie down with the warm bag on my eyes, and can press it gently against my eyes if they are very itchy.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Thu 04 Mar 2010 5:04 pm

I flood with drops inbetween rubs which is the annoying thing, wihtout preservative free drops my KC is much worse, I may have to invest in another 'fidget toy' of some description as need something to keep hands busy to prevent me.

Andrew the mask sounds lovely, where sells them?
x

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 04 Mar 2010 5:12 pm

I got mine from the same online source as my Clinitas.

Google Dry Eye
Andrew MacLean

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Thu 04 Mar 2010 7:57 pm

off to try that now Andrew, thanks x

jenniemurray001
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby jenniemurray001 » Wed 10 Mar 2010 8:23 am

Heya
you are not alone not realising how much you rub your eyes. I didnt realise just how much I did till i got my Keraring in my left eye in December last year since It made not rubbing my eye even more important ! for years I have been saying to optoms and Ophthalmologists nah i dont rub my eyes I know i shouldnt blah blah but since January the people in work have been pulling me up when I go rub my eye and its almost constant! . I got myself something called a tangle, well a friend got it in the free quit kit you get for giving up smoking and gave it to me, I now if i get the urge to rub I put some hylo forte in both eyes then play with my tangle whilst it kicks in seems to have worked and I now rub a lot less , just a thought since you said about getting a distraction if you send off for a quit kit and get a tangle for free!

Jen x

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Wed 10 Mar 2010 2:09 pm

sounds like a good idea, must research n look :) x

Peter Goren
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Peter Goren » Wed 10 Mar 2010 5:41 pm

I recently read an interesting article comparing eye rubbing in keratoconus patients vs. eye allergy patients:

http://www.revophth.com/index.asp?page=1_14488.htm

Peter
drgoren@hotmail.com

Return to “General Discussion Forum”