Rose K lens: other options?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Hill85
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Rose K lens: other options?

Postby Hill85 » Sat 27 Feb 2010 10:03 pm

Hello, My name is Mike I am 25 years old from Boston Massachusetts and have had KC for 10 years. I found this site about about a month ago and must say, is an excellent information source.
As far as vision goes, my left eye is the worst, around 20/200 un-corrected. I’m not sure how the European eye scale works but thats only the first line on the eye chart. Even corrected, there not much improvement, maybe 20/60. I currently go to the Boston Foundation for sight where they have fitted me with there (GP) Rose K lenses (where Mr. Rosenthal works). My question is, have people with severe KC switched from the Rose K to a different type of lenses and gained better corrected vision? The lenses themselves are conferrable, however I don’t feel it gives me adequate vision. Thanks for any help or alternate contact lenses recommendations.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Rose K lens: other options?

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 28 Feb 2010 9:15 am

Hi Hill85, and welcome to the forum. We have a number of members from the United States, and it is always good to welcome another.

The straightforward answer to your question is 'yes'. I wore Rose K at one time and then, after trying different lenses and lens combinations, I settled on a scleral (sometimes called Haptic) lens. This gave me better vision and better wear time.

That is, of course, not to say that anyone else would have the same result. Keratoconus is such a variable condition that what works for one will not necessarily work for another.

Yours aye

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

MartinC
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby MartinC » Sun 28 Feb 2010 3:48 pm

Hi Mike,

You sound to be at I stage I was about a year ago - now in Kerasoft IC lenses and seeing very well. Have a look at www.lwvc.co.uk and click 'patient stories' at the top....

Good luck.

Hill85
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Hill85 » Tue 02 Mar 2010 5:51 am

Thanks for the warm welcome and information

kishore

Postby kishore » Fri 05 Mar 2010 3:25 am

Hi Mike,
Why don't you give a try to Boston Scleral lenses? I am wearing these lese past 2 years and happy with the vision and comfort.

kishore

Return to “General Discussion Forum”