hereditory

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

micky44
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

hereditory

Postby micky44 » Mon 15 Feb 2010 8:49 pm

hi all has any1 gt any info as 2 wether KC is hereditory, cheers

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: hereditory

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 16 Feb 2010 8:15 pm

Hi Micky and welcome to the forum.
Current thinking is that there is a genetic component to KC. But only around 1 in 10 people with KC have anyone else in the family with it. And even then, it can skip generations. So the chances of passing it on to your children are pretty low. There are genetic studies going on in various hospitals (see the home page for a study being done at Moorfields Eye Hospital) so maybe there'll be more information on this in the next few years.
Anne

Lisa Nixon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Lisa Nixon » Wed 17 Feb 2010 11:55 pm

KC is hereditary in my case unfortunately. My son has it. I think my natural mother may have had it too - I'm adopted but she is described in the information I've got as "needing strong glasses" - this would have been in the 1950's or so, not sure what options there were for KC then. I've had grafts in both eyes, I'm now able to wear glasses and live a completely normal life. My son who's 29 had a graft in his right eye last September. He's just completed his Prison officer training and is also playing football again. So on the down side I feel bad to have passed the KC on, but the successful treatment and care we've both had balances that out.

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Sat 20 Feb 2010 8:24 pm

There is now much evidence to point to a genetic involvement in KC. However, genetics is not always a simple case of parent-child connection. Many conditions get passed on in non-obvious ways and there may be connections to other related conditions such as Ehlers-Danloss, where the collagen in the body is affected.

As Lisa indicates, keratoconus may actually be in a family line but not recognised as such, as detection of KC has only recently improved to the extent that quite mild conditions are now picked up.

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

Return to “General Discussion Forum”