sports and KC

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

sports and KC

Postby james mckinlay » Wed 27 Jan 2010 11:48 pm

hi everyone i hope you are all well. By now i should realise i have limitations to what i can do and what is deemed mad. but in february in scotland in glasgow there is the chance for me to do BUNGEE jump i have had 2 grafts one in each eye. but i was wondering if anyone knows is it safe to do a bungee. ive done the backwards bungee at theme parks and had no problems from it.

if anyone knows if its ok or not to do a jump please help lol.

if its safe to do it then i would be more than happy to raise money for the group.

thanks

james
anyways all you KC people get out there and try things you are scared to do it will amaze you the impact it has on your self esteem and confidence.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: sports and KC

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 28 Jan 2010 7:12 am

James

There are things that you need to run past your ophthalmologist: bungee jumping is one of them!

The problem might be at the bottom of the drop, when the bungee rope is fully extended and begins to snap you back. The increase in IOP is extreme at the point where you are pulling maximum G. The length of the drop would also have an effect on this, you are potentially traveling faster than a skydiver at the point he opens his canopy.

All the best. Let us know what the doc says.

Andrew.
Andrew MacLean

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Loopy-Lou » Thu 28 Jan 2010 1:08 pm

I once tried a 'white knuckle' ride and I felt 'pressure' in my eye going downwards, it really unerved me and I wouldn't do it again

Lisa Nixon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Lisa Nixon » Fri 29 Jan 2010 3:14 pm

Hi, I was at the Royal Liverpool on Friday with my son, both having post graft checks. Son (29) asked if it was ok for him to start playing football again - he's 4 months post op. Our consultant said Boxing/Rugby definately too risky and went on to mention a footballer who plays wearing goggles - he's Dutch and called Edgar something or other! We managed to order some goggles in Liverpool that day and my son is happy to be able to resume football training again. :D One thing our consultant did say with regard to grafts is that our corneas will never be as strong as pre op, which I knew. It's possible for a graft to "pop" out!!! :shock: I had no idea that could happen!! I must admit that since my grafts I'm definately not as brave when riding my horses, and I doubt I'd ever do a bungee jump - I'm scared of heights!! Tubs
Only Robinson Crusoe got everything done by Friday!!

tneedham
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby tneedham » Fri 29 Jan 2010 3:54 pm

Can i ask. did your son have a partial or full thichness graft?

Lisa Nixon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Lisa Nixon » Mon 01 Feb 2010 2:04 pm

Full thickness. Still waiting for son's goggles to come in the post, we live on the Isle of Man, so everything has to be sent here!

tneedham
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby tneedham » Tue 02 Feb 2010 4:39 pm

Thats pretty cool then.
I am 16 months post graft and i have stayed away from all types of 'risky' sports, just in case!
Your son's case gives me a bit more confidence to feel a bit less 'disabled' :D and get out and do stuff a bit more.

Charlottes mum
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Charlottes mum » Tue 02 Feb 2010 5:55 pm

Wow. Good luck with potential bungee then but even if you can't take part in that there's sure to be other stuff that will be there for you to try? My daughter Charlotte (KC newly diag last nov) takes part in gymnastics, she trains with the Hull Special Olympic team (Char has Down's) I was worried about her doing it in CL's but her optom said no probs. I guess this is all still new to Charlotte and I as far as potential restrictions go and we're learning all the time. :D
"Promise me you'll always remember that you're braver than you believe, you are stronger than you seem and smarter than you think" .....Winnie the Pooh

Lisa Nixon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Lisa Nixon » Thu 04 Feb 2010 10:58 pm

I was back on my horse 6 wks post graft with Consultant's OK. She ditched me in the sea - in January a few months later! I kept my eyes tightly shut and wasn't hurt at all, just freezing cold! She also fell over on the road with me last year, both fine and my eyes are still intact! It's hard to quantify risk really as it depends how much your sport or hobby matters to you in life. I've ridden since I was 6 or 7 and couldn't give horses up - you might as well ask me to stop breathing. My son has played football since 5 or 6 too and would be gutted if he couldn't play anymore. My husband loves running - not always away from me! It's his outlet and he would hate to have to give it up if he got bad knees or something. After the second graft I resumed marathon training after 2 weeks - I was walk/running not running all the time and I'm very slow, but my consultant was more than happy for me to resume my training schedule. Unfortunately my achilles/calf packed up a few weeks before the marathon but I did it anyway as I was doing it for Guide dogs and I've had far more trouble with my leg than my eyes ever since!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”