Does cold weather effect lenses?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Fordy
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Does cold weather effect lenses?

Postby Fordy » Sun 10 Jan 2010 5:28 pm

People,

I have noticed that my wear time has down been down during this cold weather.

Am I imagining it or could it have an influence?

Cheers,

Fordy

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Does cold weather effect lenses?

Postby Loopy-Lou » Sun 10 Jan 2010 8:29 pm

Funny you should say that but me too! I thinke extreme temperatures do affect our lens wear. We may also get drier indoors with the heating on full, so keep hydrated.

Elizabeth Mair

Postby Elizabeth Mair » Sun 10 Jan 2010 10:01 pm

Cold weather definately affects my lens wearing time.My eyes end up watering making my lenses drier.

When I'm skiing I've usually to resort to my glasses although my vision isn't nearly as good with them.My wearing time would be too short on the slopes, plus there is the difficulty of removing them safely while on the slopes.Does anybody else manage to wear their lenses for a full days skiing? If you have any tips let me know as I could ski much faster with my lenses in because I could see the terain better.Wearing goggles on top of glasses is also a pain as both can steam up.

Do other people with KC ski?

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 11 Jan 2010 7:11 am

I am lucky that I only wear one contact lens and have glasses for the other eye. (My glasses have one lens with power and one dummy lens. I wear my contact lens behind the dummy lens of my specs).

When my cl eye goes wonky because of bad weather, i can get by with the one eye corrected by my specs. :D

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Tue 12 Jan 2010 11:33 pm

Yes I think that it does affect it! I find it dam cold putting lenses in when I have just rinsed them with fresh solution. They do tend to dry out quicker as well if it is really windy!

Glad that getting so big now, being 35 weeks on Friday I can stay indoors and watch the snow in the warm!!
Sweet X x X

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Sun 17 Jan 2010 11:02 pm

The recent cold weather definitely seems to affect my eyes - I've been spending many days out at the stables as our yard manager is away, and often feel my eyes stinigng = particularly in the evenings when it has been getting colder and frostier.
I don't know whether the teras are starting to freeze!
Oddly, I'm no the only one to say so - there's another guy who's been with me several evenings at the stables recently and has been saying his eyes smart as it gets colder too.
I'm hoping they'll e better for the thaw.
Rosemary

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Mon 18 Jan 2010 1:11 pm

It is unlikely it is tears that are freezing. Teh reason many lenses feel more uncomfortable in the cold weather is because the air becomes dryier so tears evaporate from the eyes quicker, especially with the disruption many contact lenses cause to the tear film.

I must admit that I haven't experienced any problems with my soft lenses, perhaps because they are of a high water content, definitly more comfortable than when I had RGP lenses.

Not so sure how they would cope if I end up doing some work at the aprent company where they consider -10C in the winter to be a mini heatwave. Normal winter temperatures for them are -20C!
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”