Few QUestions Dry Eye, Glare

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

shoebp12
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Few QUestions Dry Eye, Glare

Postby shoebp12 » Tue 05 Jan 2010 10:15 am

Hi Everyone, ive just got some new glasses(ive tried hard lenses too difficult for me) theyre not got the antiglare protection does the antiglare actually help also i get during the day dry eyes i usually just put abit of water on my eyes, can anyone recommend eyedrops and if it actually helps

Thanks

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Few QUestions Dry Eye, Glare

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 05 Jan 2010 10:24 am

Happy new year!

I find that anti-glare coating on my spec lenses helps enormously.

As to dry eye, I use clinitas soothe. The drops come packaged in single application vials, and they provide instant and lasting relief for me. At night time, I use Clinitas Gel; when I wake up my eyes are still wonderfully lubricated.

Don't give up on contact lenses; there are several different sorts of lens that are suitable for people with Keratoconus, some soft lenses, some hybrid lenses, some hard lenses that make no contact with the cornea. Many people who could not cope with RGP corneal lenses have found one or other of these alternatives to offer good corrected vision.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Tue 05 Jan 2010 2:30 pm

There are an increasing number of people going for the combined Intacs and CXL approach. The Intacs to bring the cornea to a more regualr shape which is then followed by CXL to strengthen the cornea. From the optometrists I have spoken to this has yielded such good results that these people are getting perfect vision with glasses and some having no need for glasses.

The options open to us are ever increasing.
Gareth

Elizabeth Mair
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Elizabeth Mair » Sun 10 Jan 2010 10:19 pm

My glasses have reaction lenses - go darker in bright light.I couldn't go back to normal glasses as these ones make such a difference. I still need to sun sunglasses if I'm abroad and it is very bright, but day to day in the UK reaction lenses are great.Towards the summer optometrists ofetn have reaction lens on special offer.

My contact lenses have a UV filter in them. I don't know if that makes much difference or not. Some lenses have filters and others dont, so you could alway ask about that too.

Don't use normal tap water for dry eyes - bugs in the water which can serious problems in your eyes including ulcers. If you must use water use saline, but there are loads of dry eye solution to try. Different ones suit different people so you need to experiment - also some of them can't be used with lenses in. There is also a mist that you can spray on closed eyes to moisturise eyes- haven't tried that yet.
Hope these ideas help.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”