Grafts and rejection and travel

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Knight
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Grafts and rejection and travel

Postby Knight » Sat 14 May 2005 12:21 pm

I hope some one can help me or offer some personal experience on this for me please.

As I mentioned in another thread I'm getting my graft in Aug/Sept this year most of it I've been able to read up on and ask questions about but I am concerned about rejection. I was told that travelling is a concern bc of rejection etc. So my question is, does anyone know what it feels like having a rejection episode what are the tell-tale signs, I know it hurts but how does it compare to like regular eye-aches.
The second part of my concern is that I've had planned travel outside the country which assuming I get my op as late as Sept, I'll be going away in late Oct. Does anyone know if I can do this, or will I have to put off my trip due to whatever and if so, how long do I have to wait, has anyone been given an answer to when they can safely go travelling after a corneal graft?

thank you for any feedback.

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sat 14 May 2005 1:33 pm

Hi Knight

Indeed you concerns were and are identical to mine.

You basically need to look out for (RSPV)

Redness of the eye (sclera and close to the graft)

Sensitivity to light

Vision getting worse

Pain

Ever since I had mine done this was one of my biggest concerns as rejection can occur ANY time after the op. Although experience and stats have indicated this to have a higher probability within the first 9 months.

Travel wise, I was told not to travel for 3 months post graft. Even then, when/if you do travel you will need to pay attention to the eye and monitor any signs of rejection.

Rejection episodes occur at verious levels/layers of the cornea. However regardless; they need to be caugh in the first 24 hours; thats why they stress to call the dept on ANY signs of problems.

If the trip is inavoidable, then I would strongly advise, with the agreement of your medical personnel, so find a local competent eye unit in the area.....who is able to potentially deal with any issues....but again take the advice of your consultant.
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Knight
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Knight » Sat 14 May 2005 2:27 pm

Ahh that is great information. I don't know if you saw my other thread but I am getting Deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty (DALK) which is supposed to reduce greatly the possibilities of rejection 'if they can do it' without penetrating' that is, which is what I've been warned off, so althou they intend DALk they might in the end have to go for a regular graft...

Anyway what I wasn't informed about was what you covered, the 3 mths post graft issue I didn't know it took that long even though I was advised about rejection and the need to stay close to a hospital.

My trip was just something I planned before mention of the op as a regular holiday and a chance to hook up with some ppl I know, I live in UK and would be going to Canada, and I haven't been able to make a proper decision either way just yet, go or don't go or try go before the op which seems more resonable, althou probably more expensive as it would be the height of the summer and we all know airfares get pricey that time of year.

But thank you for the quick reply as it gives me something to work with and I've an apt in 2 weeks back at the clinic so I'll be bending his ear again see what I can do and what would be best practice etc.

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sat 14 May 2005 3:09 pm

Hi

Yes I did see your post, was intrigued but as you said they need to ensure they dont penetrate...but with todays advacements theres more likely a chance of it NOT penetrating then so.

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -

(C) Copyright 2005 KP

naeemkhamkar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby naeemkhamkar » Mon 16 May 2005 10:00 am

Hi,

As Jay knows ive suffered a few complete graft rejections.
Personally my rejections have been instant complete loss of sight, foggy vision redness & the pain is sharp etc.... You do need to be near yr consultant who will be best able to treat any rejection episodes. If you do ever reject & have the subcon injections then you will not be able to do a few things, but lets not go into that. You have to think postive - positive thinking will simulate the body healthly. Yes we will always need to consider rejection its a massive part of our lives but I am now of the mentality of enjoy the sight while i have it before it rejects again LOL.
Over the last 4yrs ive suffered alot frm the rejections if you do ever need indepth info or advise give me a shout but just take care, never miss yr drops or medication & main thing enjoy yrslf withthe new vision.
Ive had 4 graft rejections in right eye. I'm intolerable to lens in my left eye. Been 2yrs Ive learnt to live life with single ocular vision and I enjoy everyday as I have KC in my left eye. I live to enjoy everyday as it comes with my wife and children.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Mon 16 May 2005 11:05 am

Sorry to interupt guys, but we should make others viewing this that if this is the first graft, rejection is quite rare.

I do agree that it is wise to know what to look out for.

Enjoy your travels and try to avoid dwelling on what might happen.

Regards

Gareth

Knight
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Knight » Mon 16 May 2005 12:15 pm

thanx guys for the feedback, rarely have I let KC get me down or interfer with my life, even those few times when I couldn't wear my lenses at all, I made myself a 'seeing aid' which cracked ppl up... I took an old pair of specs, popped the glass outa them and replaced it with cardboard, which I put a few pins holes in, I leanred this from that thing they test u with at the clinic, but I was happily able to sit and watch TV bc the pinholes actually cut out the double - or quadruple vision - does nothing to help the blur but sit closer to the TV and it works ;)
That and I forked out for a media-porjector, so my spare room is now a small home cinema so on a 6x9 ft screen kinda difficult to 'not' see whats going on !

But, all that aside, its good to know there's a pool of experience that I can tap into bc until really recently dealing with KC was primarily a Lone Ranger effort but my family and friends have been amazing so I can't really complain, it could be worse I could be 'blind' even the prospect of the graft doesn't worry me as such more so the the unknown after it, which I'm getting to grips with.

But if I can come back on a point raised by naeemkhamkar, "...drops or medication..." I presume you mean something else rather than regular eye-drops (ie artificial tears) post op? What exactly does that involve, bc my consultant mentioned drops that I have to take about 4wks pre-op as well and I'm not entirely sure what that means exactly. What do the drops do and what are they for post-pre op?

thanks again

naeemkhamkar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby naeemkhamkar » Mon 16 May 2005 12:35 pm

Normally we are prescribed eye drops which are cortisteriods such as Dexamethasone & antibiotics.

Personally Im on Dexamethasone,, antibiotics & then also on Predineslone, Immunosuppressive medication (CELLCEPT), Renintidine (protects stomach lining) & painkillers. My case is quite complex as we are also researching thru trials etc...
Ive had 4 graft rejections in right eye. I'm intolerable to lens in my left eye. Been 2yrs Ive learnt to live life with single ocular vision and I enjoy everyday as I have KC in my left eye. I live to enjoy everyday as it comes with my wife and children.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”