wasn't expecting that

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Cassie Hames
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

wasn't expecting that

Postby Cassie Hames » Wed 02 Dec 2009 7:24 am

Hi All,

So i went in to have my appointment about the crosslinking procedure today, had been waiting three months for this appointment. I got through all the testing and things they needed to do, saw the guy and it turns out my cornea is now not thick enough for the procedure. My left eye also has some corneal scarring or something, so I am now being referred to get a corneal transplant
I wasn't really expecting that outcome to the appointment, now to wait until end of January. I'm now not sure if I will have to defer my studies next year, but I guess just got to wait and see until the appointment. Wasn't expecting that outcome to todays appointment.
"Yeah, I took two yesterday and today I'm so terrific I can hardly stand myself."

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: wasn't expecting that

Postby GarethB » Wed 02 Dec 2009 8:34 am

Cassie,

Not what you want to hear. Despite being pro graft I wiould urge you to make sure that you have explored all lens options and surgical options such at intacs as a graft is a one way deal and many people post graft still wear lenses afterwards.

As far as studies go, not sure what it is like in Australia, but I had my first graft 20 years ago months before I started to study environmental micro biology. I was allowed to record my lectures and the lecture slides were copied for me (the days before powerpoint so easier to print off a set of notes now). Never did any of the practical assessments as the vison in my other eye wasn't up to it. The following summer break I had the other eye grafted but had sufficient vison with glasses in the grafted eye to go straight in to the second year where I was allowed to do the first year practical assessments to.

Bottom line is that having grafts for me meant no time away from studies and apart from extra work in the second year (which was partly my choice, I don't like to have preferntial treatment even if I can't see!) the grafts had no negative impact on my studies or my subsequent carear.

The only one that will know if a graft will affect your studies is you and you may well have to discuss that with the university you are going to.

Good luck.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 02 Dec 2009 9:36 am

I am so sorry to hear about your unwelcome news! That said, the world did not come to an end, and I can think of no good reason why you ought to defer your studies for a cornea graft.

There is a member who was just beginning his studies at University when he discovered that he would need a graft. The surgeon at the NHS hospital arranged for the graft to be performed at the beginning of the student's long vacation, so that the healing period was contained in the holidays.

As Gareth has said, most places here and around the world will make all necessary adjustments to the study environment.

Meantime, all the best with the CXL in your other eye.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

24kblue
Vision: Spectacles

Postby 24kblue » Wed 02 Dec 2009 11:43 am

Hello, my friend did a graft last year and I was helping him out during his recovery period. It is not as risky or "horrific" as some think, just make sure you see the surgeon who has a very good and respectable reputation when it comes to this type of surgery.

optom
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby optom » Fri 04 Dec 2009 6:28 pm

Hi Cassie im a 21 yr old optometry student in Ireland. I had a graft on the 15th of June this year and i started my 4 month college rotation on the 1st of July and had zero problems with it . I am now a full time student after placement and again im finding it grand . obviously it depends on the vision in the follow eye but the graft will actually not cause you much trouble study wise however , it is a good thing to have in ur pocket if u happen to be handing up an assignment late !!!!!!!!!!!

Cassie Hames
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Cassie Hames » Sat 05 Dec 2009 6:12 am

Thanks for the comments, I wasn't sure how it will affect my study but now I can see it shouldn't really affect it. I was worried cos it will be during the semester, but there shouldn't be to many problems. Just got to be prepared and convert all of my lecture notes into audio so I can listen to them while recovering and to help with study for the exam.
"Yeah, I took two yesterday and today I'm so terrific I can hardly stand myself."

Amarpal
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Amarpal » Sat 05 Dec 2009 12:38 pm

Sorry about your news - maybe you will be able to get the transplant during the holidays rather than during semester? My university was great in aiding me when I needed it - there are plenty of options out there to help you with your studies! :)
Amarpal

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Sun 06 Dec 2009 12:20 pm

Wishing you all the best with your appointment in January! It wasn't the news you were hoping for, but having a graft is really not so bad. It would be good if they can fit it in around your studies so that you will have more healing time before you go back!

If the vision is pretty good in the other eye you should be fine. I had a graft in my left eye, but have only ever used my right eye for vision, so after a few days nothing really changed! I just had to be more careful because of the stitches, but even then it wasn't terrible.

Sending you loads of luck with it! Love Claire X x X
Sweet X x X

Return to “General Discussion Forum”