KC and morning workouts.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Vitaly
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

KC and morning workouts.

Postby Vitaly » Tue 14 Jul 2009 8:23 am

Greetings!
First of all excuse me for my poor English.
In April 2009 I was prescribed to wear RGP-lenses on both eyes due to the 1st degree of KC. It was to hard and actually is still hard to form a habit to wear them. But that's not what I am trying to ask.
Few days ago I've read some info in Russia, where I am from, that people with KC should eliminate morning exercises, especially with weights and those that require too much physical efforts, such as abdominal crunches, cause such efforts are undesirable and could harm cornea even more or accelerate the progression of KC. Is it true? Should I eliminate morning workouts? Maybe anybody could share some links on the subject?
Thanks in advance

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Re: KC and morning workouts.

Postby John Smith » Tue 14 Jul 2009 1:59 pm

Hi Vitaly, and welcome to the forum,

Is this suggestion just for morning workouts, or for exercise in general?
John

Vitaly

Postby Vitaly » Tue 14 Jul 2009 2:29 pm

Hi John!
Actually for exercise in general, especailly in sport gym, because almost all exercises there requires some physical efforts, which as I understand not good.
I also understand that if you have KC it doesn't mean that you should forget about sport, but may be there are any recommendations or brochures about what sport activities are forbidden for people with KC?
I could not find any info.
Thanks

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Loopy-Lou » Tue 14 Jul 2009 6:25 pm

Hello, welcome!

You CAN exercise with RGP's, the only sports you should not do are 'contact sports' where other people's hands, fists, feet or legs could possibly hit your head/face/eyes, or sports involving balls or objects such as wooden bars which again could possibly accidently hit your face.

It's fine to do dance, pilates, yoga, athletics, run, use the gym, lift weights.

Exercise does not accelerate your KC or harm your corneas, just avoid contact sports.
In addition I choose to avoid big theme park rides, parachute/bunjee jumping because of the G forces and because it wouldn't feel safe to wear RGP's whilst doing this.

Many eye consultants advise us to not swim in swimming pools because of bacteria, I choose to follow that advice, but I know others choose to swim but they wear very good googles and take their lenses out

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Tue 14 Jul 2009 10:01 pm

Loupy

You are slightly confusing advice with wearing RGPs and advice as to whether strenuous exercise affects KC - whether or not you are wearing any form of lenses.

Lifting weights can cause a rise in the Intra ocular pressure which can affect a weakened cornea. The main advice about this is linked to glaucoma.
http://www.tellmehowto.net/howto/weight_lifting_and_glaucoma_8449 http://www.tripdatabase.com/spider.html?itemid=647990

The theory is that the raised pressure can further stretch a already thin cornea. As no-one is a hundred per cent sure how KC progresses, it is probably wise to take the safe course.

Another issue is contact sports. Any sport where a stray elbow can impact with the eye etc potentially can damage an already weakened cornea. It is hard to measure risks exactly and it is everyone's own decision.... but any trauma to a weakened cornea can potentially cause damage.

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Loopy-Lou » Tue 14 Jul 2009 11:05 pm

Hi Lynn, I've never been advised not to exercise by an optometrist or ophthalmologist, only to avoid contact sports and swimming pools. True risk is relative a stray elbow could happen on a bus but is more likely in a martial art where there is direct body contact or in a sport involving balls. Typically surgeons advise against lifting weights after cornea grafting for the first 6 weeks and to be sensible after that.
If there are papers you know of regarding exercise and KC do let us have refs as I'm not aware of any.

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Loopy-Lou » Tue 14 Jul 2009 11:09 pm

ps even sex would raise IOP!

Fordy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Fordy » Tue 14 Jul 2009 11:24 pm

I have been fitted with RGP lenses and fully intend to play sport and go to the gym.

Whatever we choose to do in life carries a risk,the important thing is knowing what they are so you can make an informed desicion.

Fordy

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Wed 15 Jul 2009 9:37 am

There are also a good range of protective eye wear for sports to prevent the erant elbow in football or a quash ball bouncing in your face.

Both non-contact sports but have risks to the face and eyes :D

I'll stick to motor sport and my crash helmet :twisted:
Gareth

Vitaly

Postby Vitaly » Fri 17 Jul 2009 7:16 am

Thank you for your replies.

I will continue to visit my gym, but will try to limit IOP by reducing the weights.
P.S. Sorry for long time no response, was having problems with getting to the forum

Return to “General Discussion Forum”