Red eyes only after playing Xbox

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Elvenmunky
Contributor
Contributor

Red eyes only after playing Xbox

Postby Elvenmunky » Thu 14 May 2009 7:33 pm

i get red eyes and irritated eyes only when i play the xbox. im usually on the computer many hours a day and i watch tv many hours a day but it doesn't give me red eyes. when i play xbox i need to sit rather close to the screen (say about a two meters away) and my eyes need to be fixated on it due to concentration. so it could be that. anyone else get this?

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Red eyes only after playing Xbox

Postby GarethB » Thu 14 May 2009 8:26 pm

You've pretty much answered your own question.

I bet you don't play the X-box first thing in the morning, you probably do what most peple do, work all day, come home watch a bit of TV and have your tea and then play on the X-box.

All the time you are concentrating on a screen of some sort so your eyes barely get a break. When you concentrate on anything your blink rate goes down so the eyes dry a little. Contact lens amplify this effect for many of us so quite possible you are just not giving your eyes a break so KC or not you run the risk of eye strain and so on.

Sounds like the redness is because your eye have had no break and the only way to get oxygen to the cornea is to pump more blood to the eyes to see if that helps rather than the normal wetting and oxygenation of the cornea providded by the tears.

Regular small breaks when you are looking at a screen of any sort would be best.

A whole day on a PC at work and using video games for a couple hours on top also make you prone to upper lib disorder (RSI), I have had several people at work suffer this. In their case they only use a PC for a coupe of hours at work but we found they played video games for between 4 - 8 hours per day (more at weekends) and it has had a big negative impact on their carrears.

Be careful.
Gareth

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Thu 14 May 2009 11:58 pm

Sounds like in the intense concentration of starng at an xbox screen, you're not blinking.
Blink.
Often.
Make yourself do it.
If you can't blink and play xbox, break the play into shorter sessions, and make yourself blink, and even sit with your eyes shut for a minute or two, between bursts.
Rosemary

Elvenmunky
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Elvenmunky » Fri 15 May 2009 4:36 pm

thanx so much for the replies i will blink more and reduce my gaming and surfing hours.

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Sat 16 May 2009 9:16 am

Maybe the XBOX is turning you into an evil munkey-clone, hence the red eyes?
Only Joking!

Get a life...get a dog!

Asif
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Asif » Wed 20 May 2009 10:01 pm

sounds as though you may have dry eyes. as mentioned already...take frequent breaks as it can be difficult to remember to blink more often and try some artificial tears

Return to “General Discussion Forum”