Giant papillary conjunctivitis-advice please?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Re: Giant papillary conjunctivitis-advice please?

Postby Lizb » Wed 12 Aug 2009 2:20 pm

total side track, what bike you got?

I am fortunate that if i want to get out and my eyes are playing silly beggars then i can ride pillion with my husband. what scares me is when i go away for the weekend on the bike and my eyes start playing up whilst away and i get stranded/have to leave my baby (sorry bike) behind.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

Balmy
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Balmy » Wed 12 Aug 2009 3:07 pm

Lizb wrote:total side track, what bike you got?

I am fortunate that if i want to get out and my eyes are playing silly beggars then i can ride pillion with my husband. what scares me is when i go away for the weekend on the bike and my eyes start playing up whilst away and i get stranded/have to leave my baby (sorry bike) behind.

I have often riden home in major discomfort-I tend not to stray too far from home these days.

Just sold my second bike today-a Vn800 Drifter. ( long story why I bought this bike! )

My real love is my Limited Edition Ducati Senna......... :mrgreen:

Whats yours?
Attachments
P1000141.3.jpg
(40.39 KiB) Downloaded 165 times

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Lizb » Wed 12 Aug 2009 5:45 pm

mine is the Kawasaki Z750s. I know lots of people slate them but my confidence has shot up since i had this bike, and my hubby rode it for the first time in Ireland earlier this year and he couldnt beleive how easy it is to throw it into corners etc. I am looking at customising it with new rear custom shocks (am only a shortie so struggle with height on hills etc). i bought it from new and i will not be getting rid anytime soon.

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

MartinC
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby MartinC » Wed 12 Aug 2009 8:30 pm

I didn't realsie there would be so many bikers on here! Had bikes since 17 but gave up about 6 years ago, mostly due to my eyes (helmets seemed to squeeze my face and make the lenses no fit right, also used to get dust, wind etc in my eyes which wasn't good!), but also due to my new daughter and starting to feel somewhat less immortal! I could probably go back to them now I have soft lenses, tempted to be honest! (Last bike was a YZF1000r Thunderace). Making do with a slightly tuned MR2 turbo for now which isn't exactly a bike but is still pretty quick and good fun!

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Lizb » Wed 12 Aug 2009 8:54 pm

oh dear what have we started :) bikers causing chaos again :lol:

must admit to getting very frustrated of continually having to put my glasses on and off when out on the bike. use an old pair of glasses that are bent and twisted beyond belief (still work, keep getting them checked and straightened though). it really got me moving into trying CL but found that CL aggravates my Dry Eye so cant wear them at the moment.

should organise a KC ride one day :)

MartinC
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby MartinC » Wed 12 Aug 2009 9:55 pm

ah, you're lucky you still get use of glasses but as my prescription is in the region of -16 (!) then specs feel like a pair of out of focus binoculars to me!

Ride out sounds godd, maybe me & Gareth can tag along in fastish cars??!!

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Thu 13 Aug 2009 7:21 am

I have a good set of directions for a run round Rutland water, there is even a bit where at the legal speed limit you can get air! The Capri did and I ended up having to refit the mounting brackets!

Not good having your back box dragging :oops:

On the helemt front, I did find my RGP lenses would move when karting but the Kerasofts are far better, no movement at all and with the visor up slightly to stop fogging in the wet the size of the lenses means no dust under them.

Did you know to get a competition licence for motorbikes you can wear RGP and Scleran lenses?

When it comes to cars different governing body and only soft lenses are allowed. :?

I'm going to be down the Ace Cafe on 5th September I think for a Capri 40th celebration, any chance of you guys popping over?
Gareth

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Lizb » Thu 13 Aug 2009 8:24 am

MartinC wrote:ah, you're lucky you still get use of glasses but as my prescription is in the region of -16 (!) then specs feel like a pair of out of focus binoculars to me!

Ride out sounds godd, maybe me & Gareth can tag along in fastish cars??!!

my glasses only have prescription in the one lens, left eye is absolutely useless in glasses. Right eye has only just developed KC so very early stages at the moment. it does mean i have to be extra careful when doing left shoulder checks that i turn my head far enough. I remember doing my IAM on the bike and the instructor told me off for exaggrating (sp?) my left shoulder check - i then had to explain i had to turn my head that far to actaully see anything over that shoulder :shock:

What areas are people in for a ride? I am in North West England

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Thu 13 Aug 2009 11:24 am

I'm in the Midlands, the directions I have for a trip round Rutland start from a Travelodge on the A14.

IAM is good, when I was close to being unable to wear a lens in the right eye I did the IAM a second time and the examiner asked why I had done the test a second time when he asked for my mebership number at the end of the test. He was very surprised to find is driver for the session was legally blind in one eye but at least he had said I had past before he found out :)

I'd recomend the IAM course to anyone and it is very helpful if you have KC because of the observation skills they teach you which help you learn to judge distances and speed when you can only see out of one eye.

Have you guys tried tear off strips on the visors? When I do endurance karting I pile on the tinted tear offs for sunny days to get a nice tint, then rip them off as the visor gets dirty and the light fades. By the time it is dark I am down to a clear visor or the clear tear offs I have put on first. I find it easir than changing a visor.
Gareth

Balmy

Postby Balmy » Thu 11 Feb 2010 7:35 pm

Well, yesterday I was finally given the go ahead to start wearing lenses again. :D :D :D

What started off looking like a month or two to clear up has taken almost a year!!! :roll:

The next 'problem' I forsee is the type of lenses-I have been given the tiny hard ones I couldn't get on with right at the beggining when I discovered I had KC. I was told then it was a compination of new to lenses and 'tight eyelids' :oops: It makes me unable to move my eyes very much and instead look zombie like as I move my head instead!

Anyway, I'm delighted to finally try lenses again-maybe now with so much more experience of wearing them I will find them easier this time.

Fingers crossed and I'll let you know.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”