What do you think?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

erik06

What do you think?

Postby erik06 » Fri 08 May 2009 5:45 am

Hello.

I'm 22 and looking to join the Canadian Forces, but have run into some vision trouble over the past few weeks that is preventing me from submitting my files. About a month ago I had an eye exam and was diagnosed with astigmatism. I was -1.50 in both eyes when I was first tested around 10 years ago. 5 years ago I was -1.75 in each, and am now -1.70 and -1.75, with astigmatism, as of my exam on April 1.

However, over the past 4 weeks or so I've been suffering from vertical monocular diplopia in both eyes. I notice that it varies in intensity. Like right now, with my glasses on, the slight repeat of the text above is barely noticeable. It's at it's lowest intensity when I'm ready to go to sleep, and likewise when I just wake up before I get on my computer. I currently do freelance web development, so I'm staring at my screen all the time.

I should say that around the time the double vision poped up, I brilliantly decided that I should backlight my monitor... so I had a 100w bulb (with no shade I might add... :shock:) to the back-left of my screen for a couple weeks.

So the other day I went back to get re-examined. My visual acuity and prescription is the same, except the double vision. The doc mentioned I could have keratoconus. So I've scheduled an exam at this place where I'll have a corneal topography done and exam specifically for KC.

But in the mean time, what do you think? is my dream of digging trenches and being shot at dead?

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: What do you think?

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 08 May 2009 6:14 am

erik

Welcome to the forum.

Sadly, none of us is in a position to venture an opinion on whether you will be declared fit to dig Canadian trenches!

I hope that the news is good, but either way, please let us know how you get on.

Yours aye

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Fri 08 May 2009 7:15 am

Hi Erik!

Yes, well, nothing like jumping the gun! :D

As Andrew says, no-one here can possibly comment as we can't see your eyes!! It really depends on WHY your optometrist thought you might have keratoconus. If he saw distortion in your cornea when examining your eyes, then the likelihood of it being KC goes up. If he is referring you on because you have this monocular diplopia and cannot see a reason for it, that might be another matter altogether.

The fact you do so much computer work and the fact it tends to go away overnight makes me think two things: one you probably have dry eyes (all that staring at monitor screens and naked 100 watt bulbs give off a lot of heat) and two, you may be getting spasm of focussing due to your eyes "locking" onto the screen all the time.

Get yourself some decent eye drops for dry eyes (Systane is good if you have it over there) and use regularly. Get rid of the bulb, take frequent breaks from the screen ( I mean it - its your vision at stake here!) and use hot compresses on your eyes morning and night.Make sure you are hydrated - lots of water during the day and reduce coffee intake.

All of the above is common sense anyway but if your symptoms are due to dry eyes and over straining your focussing mechanism, it should help!

Let us know how you go on.

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

erik06

Postby erik06 » Fri 15 May 2009 3:51 am

Hey, thanks for the replies.

I did my exams and stuff today and they said I don't have KC. My topography result was pretty normal (If I can get a hold of it, I'll post it here).

When I told them I had double vision the doc examined my eyes with some blue light... he said I had some dry spots.

If I have enough, and dry enough spots, could, that be causing this double vision?

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Fri 15 May 2009 7:29 am

Another member sent me a link to a paper a lady at the Birmingham Eye Unit Wrote and in that she said dry eyes can give similar results on a topography as KC does. With some of the things I have seen in my own topographies in changing from one lens to another type I would concur with this.

There are all sorts of drops to help with dry eyes, with any luck the second opinion is correct and you are KC free and can follow a carrear in the Candian Forces.
Gareth

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Sat 16 May 2009 9:13 am

Yeah, good luck with your dreams of joining the Armed Forces. I have no idea what the eyesight standards are but you might be able to find out through the careers service. If it is anything like the UK, there are different standards for different occupations so you might be able to find something that suits. You need quite good eyesight for shooting of course. It sounds like the problem just might be temporary. I really hope so.
Good Luck

Get a life...get a dog!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”