Cross Linking

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Cross Linking

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 22 Apr 2009 5:43 pm

David

Did they say anything about how long you should expect to wait until your sight returns to stability?

Great blog: thanks again for sharing this experience with us.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

street_spirit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby street_spirit » Wed 22 Apr 2009 8:47 pm

hi Andrew,

Thanks for the kind words.

yeah I think it's about a week, he said most people can go back to work after a week. But, I think its the first three days which are the most distorted. Like yesterday I found it hard to focus on anything and had light sensitivity, just wanted to close my eyes all the time, don't really have that today. It effects different people in different ways though. In that my left eye is slightly more blury then usual at the moment but not to bad, but I think in 1% of people get hazing in the eye for about a week.
Last edited by street_spirit on Wed 22 Apr 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cross Link section of my Blog: http://mellowfellow.co.uk/category/kerratoconus/

street_spirit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby street_spirit » Wed 22 Apr 2009 8:51 pm

I suppose the treatment mimics the condition in that it's a little unpredictable. But, the risks are very low though, for instance risk of infection is 1 in 1000 and I have a ton of drugs i'm taking to help prevent that. Risk of hazing as I said 1%, but that should go in a week and risk of scarring I wasn't give a stats so I assume it must be even less then the infection one!

waltdek
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby waltdek » Wed 22 Apr 2009 9:25 pm

Street Spirit
Glad you are sounding cheerful . Keep it up

waltdek

Tiadinky
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Tiadinky » Fri 24 Apr 2009 9:13 am

Glad all is going well!

My husband had his done yesterday and it was not until we were half way home that the pain started. Had to phone the doctor in the night and he had to start taking tramadol. He says it feels like grit in his eye but feels it needs to be open all the time. The eye seems to be watering a lot and the eye lid is very puffy.

I hope all this is normal!

street_spirit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby street_spirit » Fri 24 Apr 2009 9:52 am

I'm not a doctor but I think it mentioned that stuff, the grit in the eye I remember reading. Mine was also very watery in the first day, and painful. I would keep in contact with your doctor if it persists they should be able to tell you beter if its normal I can only really go on my experience, my pain mostly went when I woke up the day after. I was on a few painkillers also, co-codamol (stopped taking after the morning of the second day), Gabapentin and I had Proxymentacaine which I was told only to take if it got to much as it can slow down the healing process if taken to much, I took that once on the first day which instantly stopped the pain, was in eye drop form.

Yeah the pain kicked in for me like that, I guess when the anaesthetic had worn off! Directly after the op in the hospital when they gave me my sandwich and tea to recover I was thinking man amazing no pain at all! But then it kicked in and then had all the bloody drugs they had given me with this pain in my head I was trying to work out what to take, when and how! Luckily when I got home someone was on hand to help!

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Fri 24 Apr 2009 11:27 am

From all the reports I've seen on corneal surgery it is normal to have the feeling of grit in the eye and for the eye to be very watery (amount vary between people) and in some cases light sensitivity too which all clear within a week or two.

Puffy eye lids is less common but wehre I have heard of this happening it has usually been due to the patient having a strong blink reflex and it has taken slightly more force to keep the eye lid apart during the procedure. I've only heard this reported for grafts done under a local anaesthetic, I guess because a general anaesthetic knocks you out comlpetly the eye lid muscles are extremely relaxed so don't take much to pull apart.
Gareth

Tiadinky
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Tiadinky » Fri 01 May 2009 2:01 pm

Hi my husband had his check up yesterday and when they went to take the contact lens out they said it had gone :!: . They said they were not sure how this could have happened but they think that is why he was in so much pain. The thought that after the procedure they thought that as his eyes ran so uch it must have washed out the contact lens which meant there was never any cover on the eye afterwards.

Now have to wait to see what happens at the next appointment in a months time :roll: .

street_spirit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby street_spirit » Mon 04 May 2009 7:21 pm

Sorry to here that, whats his vision like? Did they say if it had healed at all or was infected? I assumed the bandage was just there to help further prevent infection?

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 05 May 2009 6:08 am

Tiadinky

That is really bad news. Please tell your husband that w are all thinking of him.

Let's hope that his eye gets back onto a healing trajectory now that the problem has been identified.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”