New to KC and computing

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Buster
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

New to KC and computing

Postby Buster » Fri 27 Mar 2009 7:42 pm

Not had KC for long but consdiering Im newly diagnosed thought i'd look up KC on a frineds puter.

To make best use of this forum spouse I need get my own so what should i be looking for in a computer considering I'm a bit of a technophobe and never owned one befor?

dazzabee
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: New to KC and computing

Postby dazzabee » Fri 27 Mar 2009 8:28 pm

Without getting all techinical, these days you should be able to pick up a decent machine for £350-400. If you want a laptop, then there are some great deals out there at the moment. I suggest a visit to PC World. It wouldn't normally be my choice of purchase as I prefer to buy online but looking at your situation, they will be able to give you the help and advice you need.

Personally I recommend Dell or HP as their aftercare is very good, but you do pay that little extra with machines starting from £500. Acer are a growing brand and are massive in South-East Asia and they generally start from £350.

If you get a quote and find out all the details I don't mind saying "yay" or "nay"

With regards to KC, make sure you get a decent size monitor, 19 inch seems to be the norm these days and is fine but I find I have to limit my usage time to 40 minutes of use before taking a break from the screen. The glare tends to affect my eyes.

I hope that helps.

Jay
Jay

Irregular Cornea Foundation
www.ic-f.org
E-mail info@ic-f.org
Tel: 01788 529 937

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Fri 27 Mar 2009 8:45 pm

Hi Buster,a nd welcome to the forum.
As regards types of computers... what stage is your KC at, and is it likely to affect your computer use? And if so, how?
If it is still fairly mild, and you're fine reading screens with glasses/contacts, then probably something pretty "market standard" will do fine. And there would be worse approaches than getting it from the place where you'd trust the staff to get it fixed and not bullshit you if it ever needs repair. A bit like my father who used to chose the make of his car based on the best servicing garage inthe area!
If you are likely to want screen magnification software, or colour scheme changes, or even talking software, there is a lot on the market.
SImple things to look out for are: is the screen really crisp and well-definied and non fuzzy? Can the screen be moved around so you can move it closer to read more easily without putting your neck out?
Good luck! - and welcome tothe wonderful world of those battling with IT!
If you are interested in special kit, your nearest RNIB branch may be able to give you a demo, and there's an organisation called BCAB = British COmputer Association of the Blind with users of lots of different types.
Rosmeary

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 28 Mar 2009 8:49 am

buster

Welcome to the forum, and soon to the world of computer ownership.

I find my Mac very easy to use.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Elizabeth Mair

Postby Elizabeth Mair » Sun 29 Mar 2009 4:57 pm

Choose the screen on your laptop carefully if you are sensitive to glare. At work I got a new laptop which has a mirror like screen and I just can't use it because of the glare. I would need a screen protector to use it. There are still plenty of matt looking screens around so I recommend choosing one of them.

It is the software loaded into the computer that is used to change the size and colour of fonts(print). The brightness/colour of your screen page can also be adjusted throught your computer - this isn't enought to solve a mirror type screen though.

Hope this helps

tneedham
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby tneedham » Tue 31 Mar 2009 5:43 pm

Hi

Most standard computers should be fine for the KC user
I find working on a mirror screen impossible, so avoid them if you can.
I run my laptop on dual screen (i have a 21" monitor attached to my laptop and i have both screens running side by side) i use the big screen as normal, and have a screen magnifier programme running on the laptop screen for when the test is too blurred for me to read properly.
There are some pretty good programmes about but they do cost quite a bit of money. (Zoomtext is about £800) :(
Good News..... Windows has one built in to it which is easily good enough for me.
To find it : Go to the start menu, click on 'Run', type magnify in the box and press enter and a new screen will load up that will magnify what ever your mouse pointer is over.

Hope you find a good one and happy computing.

Tom

Return to “General Discussion Forum”