BEST CONSULTANT FOR GRAFT

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Darran Smith
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

BEST CONSULTANT FOR GRAFT

Postby Darran Smith » Wed 25 Mar 2009 8:48 pm

Hi folks

Long time since I posted.

I have percieverred for the past 3 years with frequent visits to hospital and regular lens type and shape changes. I am again at the point I was 3 or so years ago where I am considering a graft. My wearing time has reduced and I have to manage my day with lenses and glasses. My unaided vision is so bad I can barely make out the top line of the snellen chart, my lens aided vision is close to 6/6 whilst with glasses I am on occasion borderline to drive. I have regular problems with my left eye being "miffed" with the contact lens (watering and sore) so I remove it and soon after suffer from a sore head. I manage this by blanking the eye off and using my lens aided right eye - this is the most successful strategy. When I try using a glasses and lens combination I get sore heads and feel dizzy so don't use this very often !

The frustration at having regular sore heads, having to essentially lie down at night after work and rest my eyes and limit activity at weekend not to say curtail personal development has been hard to come to terms with. There is so much i want to do and achieve in life for me and my family !

I am now at the point of exploring a graft through Moorfields and wondered if anyone could recommend an excellent consultant for the same. Clearly I would want the most skilled and practised Consultant to perform the op. I am presently in contact with the following Consultants - David Gartry, Stephen Tuft, Linda Ficker and Mr V Maurino. I have asked them about how often they perform full and partial thickness transplants and their success rates but note that data is limited.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Best regards
Darran

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: BEST CONSULTANT FOR GRAFT

Postby GarethB » Wed 25 Mar 2009 8:58 pm

Darren,

From you avatar it appears you are in Scotland in which case I'd suggest Gart Navel.

I'm sure Moorfileds is good but based on my experience of the treatment received from my Hospital, I'd most definitly rate Coventryas high as Moorfields.

A general question to everyone who chose to go to Moorfileds: Why did you feel the need to get youtr treatment there?

Sorry to add a question but it might help with epoples responses.

We do try and avoid naming consultants and hospitals because if someone tells you to avoid a particular consultant, that consultant (and many hospitals and consultants do view this forum) can take offence which is the last thing we want or what anyone intended when they ask such questions.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 25 Mar 2009 9:11 pm

Actually, there is a vary good ophthalmology department at ARI. I lived in Aberdeen for nearly six years in the 1980's, and attended the clinic there.

Gartnavel is a very good centre, they now house Glasgow's Tennent Institute of Ophthalmology.

Why not speak to your GP and see what s/he says? Let us know how you get on.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Graeme Stevenson
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Graeme Stevenson » Wed 25 Mar 2009 9:19 pm

Hi Darran

You do appear to achieve a good standard of BCVA with your contact lenses. Having said that you obviously have problems with the comfort.

I have some lectures from last years BCLA Conference which discuss surgery,CXL,CL's. I can arrange for you to see them if you would like?Just PM me.

You have obviously researched the subject very well. Is there are reason why you havent considered any of the Scottish based surgeons? There are fine departments at Gartnavel,Aberdeen,Ninewells and also at Ayr.Many of the surgeons involved at those mentioned have excellent reputations.

Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Graeme

aliadam77
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby aliadam77 » Wed 25 Mar 2009 10:13 pm

Hi

I received a full thichness graft on tuesday 10th march at Stobhill hospital in Glasgow. The surgeon who performed it also works at Gartnavel.
The treatment I received was fantastic and I was home by 4pm the same day (surgery at 8.30am under general anaesthetic).
2 weeks on my eyesight has dramatically improved and is getting better each day.
I had my other eye grafted at RAH Paisley about 14 years ago and can honestly say I have never come across any medical staff who have been unfavourable.
Good luck
alison

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Thu 26 Mar 2009 12:24 am

Darren:
There is something very important to remember aout grafts: they do not necessarily correct your eyesight. The aim of the graft is to make a more regular surface to which correction (contact lenses or spectacles) can be fitted.
It is very unlikely you will get good enough vision post-graft that you won't have to wear one or the other. Iwas told pre-graft that about 50% of people end up wearing contact lenses on top of the graft.
If you are having difficulty tolerating contact lenses now, what is the chance that you will be able to tolerate them better post-graft?
It is unlikely you will get any better vision even with lenses in post-graft than you do with lenses at the moment, and, since grafts are not a 100% perfect solution, it possible you may not even get 6/6. There are also other risks to a graft, such as rejections, infections, pain, disruption to your life, and reactions to the drugs you'll be prescribed, including getting glaucoma or cataract in the grafted eye.
As for hospitals - I certainly wouldn't traipse all the way down from Aberdeen to go to Moorfields! ANd if you have a graft, you'll be going wherever you have it rather a lot.
To answer Gareth (?)'s question: I live in north east London, half an hour from my home to Old Street on the tube. Where else would a shocked GP who'd just seen a scleral lens for the first time 0 this back in 1986 - refer me?
For the record - 14 months post graft, I cannot read the top line on the snellen chart with my grafted eye. The other one can barely see there's a chart there!
I'm sending a PM too.
Rosemary

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 26 Mar 2009 7:25 am

Alison

Thank you for sharing your experience of Stobhill. All the best with your continued recovery.

I think that the Stobhill theatre is used as an extension of the Gartnavel service; there seems to be a sharing of resources across the Hospital Trust.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Elizabeth Mair

Postby Elizabeth Mair » Thu 26 Mar 2009 2:21 pm

I recommend that you stay in Scotland for your graft as it is easier to get to the hospitals for follow ups, or if an emergency crops up.
There are definately very good surgeons in Scotland, so there is no need to go further afield. The Scottish hospitals are probably less busy, so you would probably be seen quicker and get more individual attention.Your GP should be able to refer you to a hospital of your choice within Scotland.
Send me an e-mail for surgeons names if you want.

Darran Smith
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Darran Smith » Sat 28 Mar 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks to everyone for their replies - I really appreciate folks taking the time to do so.

An excellent point was raised by some of you with regard to grafts in Scotland. I (perhaps naively) contacted Moorfields on my understanding that it was the centre of excellence for such things and that if I were to go private for a graft I'd want an individual with lots of experience and an excellent track record of performing grafts working on my eye !

My treatment has been through Ninewells for a number of years now and I am presently being referred within Ninewells for a conversation about a graft. The Opthamologist who treats me has intimated that a Surgeon working from the Glasgow area performs grafts for other NHS Hospitals in Scotland. This may be an option for me.

Does anyone know if Gartnavel et al offer a private service ?

Finally my apologies- no offence was intended to any Surgeons/Consultants out there with regard to my question on "best consultant for a graft". I was purely interested in peoples experiences - hopefully folks understand my rationale for asking the question.

Best regards, Darran
Darran

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 28 Mar 2009 2:31 pm

Darren

I don't know whether it is possible to go private to Gartnavel, but a referral from Ninewells might be a reasonable rapid way to get onto their list.

Both of my grafts (one PK and one DALK) were performed at Gartnavel. I have a very high opinion of the whole team there, not least the consultant who did my operations: the excellent Dr Ramaesh.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”