Career Prospects

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Tom Gardner
Contributor
Contributor

Career Prospects

Postby Tom Gardner » Mon 25 Apr 2005 10:39 am

I am currently a 17 yr old student with KC at the "rigid contact lens stage". I have reasonable sight out of both eyes. I am doing 3 A-Levels - Business, Economics and P.E with a view to go onto uni to study business. I have a career in Retail Management in mind and I was wondering whether KC will hold me back in any way? Any advice would be welcome as it is worrying me currently. Thanks.

xTomx :P

shoayb
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby shoayb » Mon 25 Apr 2005 12:33 pm

Hi Tom,
Not sure if i can advice you on what you ask.. but i most crtainly can relate to what your saying... i'm currently on my "Year-out" and am going back to uni in Sept to finish my degree... I'm in the Computing field hence sight is most important..
Just been diagneosed in the last 5 months with KC but only just RGP's... so still in early stages, and yes it is worrying to see if KC is going to affect our career....
I'm find coming on here and talking abuot my experiences help a great deal.. also take things slowly.. ask all the questions you have...! try being positive.. and in terms of the future, i think i'll tackle that as and when!

hope all works out for you...
"Snowflakes are one of Nature's most fragile things, but just look at what they can do when they stick together!"
"Tell me and i'll forget, show me, and i may not remember, involve me, and i'll understand!"

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Mon 25 Apr 2005 12:35 pm

Hi Tom

From the chosen career I would highly doubt your KC would have an impact. However this doesnt mean that you may have some day to day "bad eye good eye days"...

I basically work as a Systems Architect thus have a large reliance on Computers on a day to day basis...this has not caused me any issues aside fromrecently using a magnifer when I have a bad eye day (however bear in mind I have Advanced KC unlike you; from what it sounds)

Clearly if yu had other career aspirations such as a Fight Jet Pilot, Astronout, Surgeon, than Id say something different :-)

Drew Radcliffe
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Postby Drew Radcliffe » Mon 25 Apr 2005 12:38 pm

Hi Tom

I can't tell you what is right and whats wrong but I can tell you that I don't think you need to worry at all.

From what your saying your getting good correction with your contact lenses and you don't know how far if at all your KC will progress.

A lot of us on here get a good quality of life with our lenses and do all the things that we want and if your lucky enough to find yourself in this situation you know you don't have to worry.

If things work out a little harder and your KC does impact your ability to function as you want, then there ar a lot of ways to get round any limitations When you find a limitation there will probably be someone on here who knows how to get around it because they have already come up against it. The obvious stuff that normally worries me when i am looking for a job is stuff like : - I can't drive because of my vision - but thats ok because my empolyer would get help from the Government with additional costs for me like Taxi's. I can't read that easily so I need a computer that can do it for me. Again this cost is taken on by the Government through Access to Work.

So as long as your realistic in aiming for what you want to do youll find a way to do it.

Hope this helps, the key is don't stress about it or it will get you down. Look for ways to get you to where you want to be and aim for that goal.

Maybe write to one of the big retailers tell them your goal and your concerns and ask them if you can go and spend some time with them so you can suss out whats going to cause you problems - my guess is nothing you can't find a fix for.

Drew

PS. if you find out how I can get a job as a one eyed train driver let me know........

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Mon 25 Apr 2005 12:49 pm

Hi tom,

Back in 1989 I started a degree in environmental microbiology and at the time I had just had a graft in one eye and the other eye was useless due to the KC, so I did the first year actually registerd partially sighted. Went on to work fort the DTI which meant working on oil rigs, down mines and in the sewers. As soon as I could see enough to drive a started racing cars semi-professionally. Got a good degree and worked in sales, customer services and now devolp Asthma drugs. Always declared the KC and the two grafts and the KC is back with avengance due to quite a rare interaction between the old cornea and the new!

In 20 years KC has never held me back and 2004 was the first time I had to take time off work due to KC so in my experience KC should not hold you back one bit. However remember that we are all different and it can not be predicted how KC in any of us will develop.

Get a clear idea of what you want to do and go for it. If you are clearly focused on what you want to achieve, you will be able to overcome practically all obstacles that you might encounter. Worry about them when they happen , avoid looking for them.

Good luck.

Dave Dale
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Dave Dale » Mon 25 Apr 2005 4:55 pm

Well we seem to be simliar!

I studied for my A'levels and then my Business Degree before working for a High Street retailer where we all buy our underwear from as a graduate manager for 2 years. Whilst working with them I noticed my eyesight was getting worse and they found the KC. I continued to work fine with the lenses and I did'nt even tell work as I could do the job aswell as anyone without KC.

Anyway, I got bored with that so returned to uni for a year and now teach Business Studies to 14-19 year olds..and believe me, selling knickers was a breeze compared to this and I guess it is only now I see that my KC can be problematic on somedays...but I get on with it as we all do!

Good luck with whatever you do..it can be done!

Dave.

Paul Morgan
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Paul Morgan » Mon 25 Apr 2005 5:58 pm

Coooh...retail mangement...if you wanted to pick a tough career Tom then you've won first prize.

Long, long hours, awful holidays, little or no Christmas break (or Easter for that matter), unhappy customers, unhappy bosses and staff well there another matter...oh and constantly uprooting to another town.

I'm only kidding really mate, but do think long and hard about retail. My parents pushed me down that avenue at about your age, I lasted about 6 years and got out, went back to Uni and now do a 'boring' office job with prospects good pay and lots of holidays...actually I'm here now...and yes I know it's 7pm!!

Anyway, I don't think your KC will hold you back if you don't let it, but don't be fooled by the 'glamour' of retail. It's really hard slog with unsocial hours and the pay is nothing to write home about.

But don't let me out you off!! :D :lol: :D :lol:

Tom Gardner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Tom Gardner » Mon 25 Apr 2005 6:39 pm

Thanks for your advice everyone, its help me relax and get on with my studies! :D

Michelle Oates
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Michelle Oates » Wed 27 Apr 2005 4:42 pm

Hi Tom

I am pleased that your lenses are fitting alright at the moment.

How is the vision.

I had a lot of help at university. I studied business too. I was able to talk to the disability team through student services and obviously they assess you but i got from every lesson copies of any overheads . They also provided me with a dictaphone to tape lessons.
I also had writers in exams so i could dictate to them. Plus i had software for my computer which they gave me (top spec)

In work there are options as well, ie access to work and workstep which also provides you with equipment etc.

The help is out there. Dont suffer in silence.

Michelle

Return to “General Discussion Forum”