Just to say Thanks

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Just to say Thanks

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 17 Mar 2009 6:37 pm

Linda

I have that birthday next year. :)

Don't throw the stuff away; give it to somebody who may need to see it!

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Linda H
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Linda H » Wed 18 Mar 2009 11:47 am

Hi Andrew,
Sorry I think you miss understood. It was my spelling I should have said "through" not threw. With my nose pressed up to the screen and blurred sight I'm finding that it's a bit of a struggle doing even some of the most routine things. My weeding the borders is an interesting one. I think I'm going to have one of the best displays this year! Of WEEDS! I'll have pulled all of the plants out. Regards Linda

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Wed 18 Mar 2009 12:25 pm

Linda,

I had the same problem with my garden 5 years ago. I resorted to pulling up all the plants except the tree's, covered all that was brown with weed block and then planted a whole new set of plants and filled the gaps with wood chip. It is only now that the weedblock is looking worse for wear so I might go through the same process again. Not bad 5 years between weeding sessions.

I go for colour contrasts so that if I am unable to see, I can easly distinguish between grass and flower beds because of the contrasting colours.
Gareth

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Thu 19 Mar 2009 9:33 am

Hello Gareth (and all)

Is it really 5 years, my doesn't time fly!

best wishes

Susan
don't let the people that mean nothing to you get you down, because in the end they are worth nothing to you, they are just your obstacles in life to trip you up!

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Thu 19 Mar 2009 12:45 pm

Doesn't time fly when we are having fun :D
Gareth

Linda H

Postby Linda H » Sat 21 Mar 2009 4:44 pm

Hi,
To you all, thanks for the colour coordinated garden tips. Also Hi to all of the Bus pass people, nice to know I'm not on my own. May I ask you a question related to grafts. From what I have read on this forum and the other info. I have seen. I thought I'd read that tissue matching wasn't done. That the eye bank try to get a close match age wise and needs. I visited my optician on Thursday just so she could check out my G.P. lens in my left eye and to let her know what was happening re the hospital. When I told her I was being placed on the waiting list at Bristol eye bank. She said they would send for me to do tissue matching! I'm now very confused. Would you please tell me what happens at what stage? I know a lot of you have been though it. I would just like to have some idea of the order of things.

Regards
Linda

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Sat 21 Mar 2009 7:24 pm

Hallo.
I certainly wasn't tissue matched.
As I understand it, they don't normally do it, certianly not for a first graft.
If someone is having a regraft, or if it's a second graft and they've had problems with rejection episodes on the first, they might think it wise to do some tissue type matching, to maximise the chances of a successful graft without rejecting.
The more transplants you have, the more likely your body each to reject eacch subsequent one, apparently.
If you have particular problems with allergies or other things that increase your risk of rejection, they might do tissue matching then.
I don't now what sort of matching they try to do - age possibly. THough I ended up with a donor cornea from someone less than half my age and the other sex. Race unspecified in the paperwork.
The hospital sdid do various tests on me, including taking blood samples for blood tests, but what they tested for I have no idea as the results never got back as far as my medical records.
Rosemary

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 21 Mar 2009 7:43 pm

I wasnt tissue matched for either of my grafts; I think they try to make sure that the grafted tissue is roughly the same age as the host.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Sun 22 Mar 2009 10:32 am

As there is no blood vessels going into the cornea there is no need for tissue typing in most cases. If a graft is being done that goes near the corneal margin then tissue typing is done to reduce the chances of rejection and blood vessels growing near or into the graft.

The preference now if a graft is required that goes near the edge of the cornea is a DALK (partial graft) as rejection is far less likely anyway.
Gareth

Linda H

Postby Linda H » Sun 22 Mar 2009 3:37 pm

Thanks Rosemary, Andrew, and Gareth,

I had thought that was the case, but you know what it's like when your told something by an "official" person you immediately think that you have the wrong end of the stick. Having said that I do like to try to find out all about what I've been told so that I can make the best choices possible if necessary.

Regards
Linda

Return to “General Discussion Forum”