stitches in 14 months now- what am i supposed to do?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

dweezil1968
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

stitches in 14 months now- what am i supposed to do?

Postby dweezil1968 » Mon 16 Feb 2009 8:33 pm

hello
I had my graft in November 2007 and all went well, I have noticed the vision getting better. Had an issue with a too tight stitch but no real drama
So last November 2008 I had another check up and they said the stitches really needed to come out as they were deteriorating and i was getting sore eyes.
Since then nOTHING, no appointment, no letter NOTHING. I phone the clinic and the surgery regularly, but I am at a loss to know whats going on, the stitches have been in 14 months! I am no closer to trying out lens or glasses, and am getting no reponse! Should i get my GP to chase it now?
I am not even taking any drops now or anything.
any suggestions?

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: stitches in 14 months now- what am i supposed to do?

Postby rosemary johnson » Mon 16 Feb 2009 11:16 pm

Lucky you! - hospital talking of taking stitches out after a year!
Still got mine in 12.5 months on, and last appointment hospital were saying maybe in 18 months time.
Or maybe never.... well no, not never; I'm not having the dratted thing in for ever more!
Are yours separate stitches or a single running stitch?
Rosemary

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 17 Feb 2009 7:24 am

With my first graft it was 18 months before the sutures started coming out.

It is not bad news that sutures are still in place at 14 months. Actually it is good news as it means that no problems have arisen with the sutures themselves.

I was taken back to theatre for the removal of my sutures: first graft they came out in two lots of 8. Second graft they all came out at the same time.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

dweezil1968
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby dweezil1968 » Tue 17 Feb 2009 12:47 pm

they told me last Novemeber that the stitches 'needed to come out' as they were ' disintegrating' but then- no word
I have 16 stitches, no idea what type
guess i have to keep trying the hospital appts line and the secretary of the surgeon. I want to start trying lens etc obviously.
thanks

red-eye
Contributor
Contributor

Postby red-eye » Tue 17 Feb 2009 6:41 pm

Hi, I noticed your location is Brighton. Out of curiosity, are you attending Sussex Eye Hospital?

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 17 Feb 2009 6:47 pm

CAUTION

I don't think that a line has been crossed here, but there is a problem if people post complaints about the service they receive from particular clinics, surgeons or opticians while identifying the place or people concerned. There are ways in both the NHS and the private sector that complaints can be made.

It is a sad reflection on our times that people who sound off on a public forum about the service they receive from a praticular eye care professional or company or NHS clinic may find themselves (and the forum) subject to legal action. :D
Andrew MacLean

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Tue 17 Feb 2009 6:57 pm

Dweezil - stitches and contact lenses are not incompatible.
One can wear a contact lens in a grafted eye with the stitches still in. And I gather my new consultant is inclined to leave stitches in place permanently for as long as they cause no problems.
The trouble with trying contact lenses too early - and I was told pre-graft this would be a year to 18 months - is that the eye can still be cahnging shape, so trying to fit a contact lens is like trying to hit a moving target.
SO you'd get fitted for a lens, and by the time it arrived, your eye changed again and it went out of date and you needed a new one only a few weeks later.
Which gets frustrating and very expensive!!
Same with glasses - you could get glasses as soon after a graft as you can stand telling the fitter how much you can read and whether it's better with or without..... but you'd need new pairs so often it would be ridiculous.
Actually there is one way to get round this, which is to be fitted with scleral lenses post graft - this can be done as soon as 3 months post graft, and worn over stitches. The idea is that changes in eye shape are accommodated in the tear-reservoir behind the lens, so you wouldn't need new ones so often. I've actually got a post-graft scleral, fitted 3 months post graft. And in fact I did beed to go out and get some reading glasses to go over the lens by the time it arrived, but I can get those for a fiver in ASDA, so not going to break the bank! I probably would need a new pair of reading specs now, but seldom wear the lens as my eyes are so sore from the anti-glaucoma drops.
If they say you have 16 stitches, that sounds like individual ones. A running stitch is just one, and either all stays in or all comes out ogether,as I understand it.
Are your stitches actually causing problems? - like, coming lose and causing pain where the loose ends rub? If so, you'd be justified going to A&E to get the troublesome one (s) removed. If they are not causing problems, what's the urgency?
Rosemary

dweezil1968
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby dweezil1968 » Wed 18 Feb 2009 1:41 pm

red-eye wrote:Hi, I noticed your location is Brighton. Out of curiosity, are you attending Sussex Eye Hospital?

no,
I am at Worthing Hospital with MR Teimory- very good
Last edited by dweezil1968 on Wed 18 Feb 2009 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dweezil1968
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby dweezil1968 » Wed 18 Feb 2009 1:43 pm

Andrew MacLean wrote:CAUTION

I don't think that a line has been crossed here, but there is a problem if people post complaints about the service they receive from particular clinics, surgeons or opticians while identifying the place or people concerned. There are ways in both the NHS and the private sector that complaints can be made.

It is a sad reflection on our times that people who sound off on a public forum about the service they receive from a praticular eye care professional or company or NHS clinic may find themselves (and the forum) subject to legal action. :D

I wasn't posting a complaint, I was asking advice from others with similar experience re when stitches should come out?
I ahve no complaints so far with my surgery, the surgeon, just wanted to know about the delay etc

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 18 Feb 2009 2:33 pm

:D That is why I did not edit any posts, but as we were beginning to nudge towards naming names and clinics, I thought I timely little reminder of the forum rules might not go amiss.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”