I have been diagnosed with hydrops

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

dazzabee
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: I have been diagnosed with hydrops

Postby dazzabee » Thu 19 Feb 2009 3:56 am

As mentioned please speak to a professional before doing what I said.

I am just passing on the advice I was told by the doctor at Moorfields A+E and it did help. It doesn;t mean it was without risk though, as being suggested, although I was not told of any danger at the time.

It would be good to get some response from a doctor on the matter and I would love to know what this "Daniels" book is all about. Any ideas anyone?
Jay

Irregular Cornea Foundation
www.ic-f.org
E-mail info@ic-f.org
Tel: 01788 529 937

Lorrine
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby Lorrine » Fri 20 Feb 2009 5:50 am

Andrew,

How do I configure the screen (Black bacground, white text) on a mac? Also, my doctor explained that I could get an infection in my eye if the hydrops continues to linger. I have a severe case for about 3 months and can only see clear out of a tiny portion of the rim of the cloud. Have you heard of anyone getting an infection due to hydrops? How long could the cloud last?

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 21 Feb 2009 4:25 pm

:D

Open 'system preferences' (In your 'Apple Menu)

In the 'System' Column, click on Universal Access

In the bar, select 'seeing'

In "display' change "Black on White" to "White on Black"

All the best.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

private104

Postby private104 » Fri 27 Feb 2009 10:01 pm

I was at the clinic and got talking to a really nice lady with hydrops. She was on prophylactic chloramphenicol to ward off possible infections.

AJ

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 28 Feb 2009 2:54 pm

:D Conversations in clinic waiting rooms can be dangerous: we can learn more about the things that can go wrong than we expect to know. We also meet people with other eye conditions, and the danger is that we read their experience over to our own!

I have read in other strings that people have been given chloramphenicol (which is an antibiotic) to ward off infections.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Louise Pembroke » Sat 28 Feb 2009 7:17 pm

I had a massive hydrops in my right eye a very long time ago before both my transplants, over 20 years ago. I just woke up with it, I could feel a huge 'bulge'. I was told that a hydrops typically occurs this way, that it wasn't down to eye rubbing or anything getting into the eye but was because my KC was so advanced. My cornea was close to perforation so I was admitted to hospital for a day or two and given diuretics to reduce the fluid. My hydrops took months to heal, thankfully I didn't experience pain as others have but I was very sensitive to light and wore dark glasses during the day. I don't think I would be happy to put a hairdryer on a weak, thin cornea.
My 2nd hydrops in the left eye was much less dramatic, quite small by comparison but I recognised it for what it was, went to Moorfields, got the diagnosis confirmed and again had diuretics for a couple of days and that healed within a few weeks.
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

Return to “General Discussion Forum”