Hard contact won't stay in place.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Hard contact won't stay in place.

Postby ChrisK » Mon 12 Jan 2009 7:45 pm

Greetings and happy new year to you all.

I've recently been given a hard contact to wear and with it regained a little sight. :D

The problem now being in that I put the contact in and as soon as I blink it moves.

It was fine when I had it fitted at the hospital and it was fine the next day when I put it in, but since then it has been misbehaving. :|

I have tried refitting it numerous times, on different days but with the same results. So much so I am sure I can't be putting it in the wrong place and I'm certainly not putting it in the wrong way around.

Has anyone else ever had this problem. Is there someway around it or do I have an ill fitting lens that needs replacing? I will call the hospital up on wednesday but first wanted to hear any advice for those with more experience with contacts. As a newbie contact wearer perhaps there is something different I can do to solve the problem.

Many thanks in advance.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Hard contact won't stay in place.

Postby GarethB » Mon 12 Jan 2009 9:33 pm

From what you describe it sounds very similar to what happens with my right lens if I have gone months without wearing it.

If i have tried the Kerasoft lenses for a month and go straight to the RGP I do feel the lens rocking around and the lens is very uncomforatble. I have to almost go back to when I first had the RGP's and build the lens wear and after a week or so it genrally settles down as the weight of the lens does an element of reshaping the cornea.

Simplest thing if the lens is still causing casue for concern like now is to give the hospital a call. It is not unheard of to have to get a lens tweaked once youve had it a week or so. When I had to get my left lens changed the fitting at the hospital went OK but for me to have a lens that was comfortable ona regular bases I had to go back for a couple of refits.
Gareth

Graeme Stevenson
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Graeme Stevenson » Mon 12 Jan 2009 10:38 pm

Chris

There could be a number of reasons for the excessive movement of the lens. As part of the adaption process it is common to have more tears produced which will lead to the lens moving around more.Often as the eye adapts the tears decrease and the lens centres and stays in position much better.
As Gareth mentions it is also very common to reequire a slight tweak to the lens fitting as it can be quite tricky to get it right first time.
I would certainly suggest you call the hospital for further advice although do try to "adapt" to lens wear.
Graeme

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Mon 12 Jan 2009 11:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. :D

I'll give the hospital a call on wednesday morning, it's the only time I believe the hospital optician is working.

Hopefully they'll be able to tweak it a bit. Such a shame as after wearing it for an hour the first day and an 90 minutes the second all seemed to be going rather well. :|

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Tue 13 Jan 2009 7:09 am

Try going back to wearing the lens for 30 - 60 minutes so the eye gets used the the shorter lens wear before uping the time.

The eye can get tired and a bit dry and starter to water a little more to compensate, then the lens floats round more.

I managed to build to 8 hours lens wear in about a week but to get 12 hours lens wear took a further 3 weeks as I found I had to increase the wear time at a slower rate.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 13 Jan 2009 7:30 am

Let us know how you get on when you call the hospital on Wednesday.

You probably could have phoned before Wednesday to speak to the clinic receptionist; you might have been offered an appointment on wednesday and have been able to move forward your refitting.

I think someone once described the fitting of lenses to KC eyes as "science modified by art"; as Graeme has said it can be very difficult and part of our job is to let the optometrist do his or her job as we struggle together to get the perfect fit for our uniquely coned eyes.

All the best.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Thu 15 Jan 2009 2:19 pm

Thanks for the tips.

I've returned from the hospital. I popped in to the K+C first thing wednesday morning and they were great. They put themselves out and managed to make room for me in their tight schedule. :D I saw the optician and things are looking up again.

I'll be getting a new contact, a slightly tighter fit so hopefully it won't pop out. The other problem is due to my watering eye as it sometimes waters alot when I put the contact in and this is causing it to move about alot.If I close my eye and damp away the tears it settles down.

So thanks again, problem solved.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Thu 15 Jan 2009 4:28 pm

Thanks for the update.

As your eye gets more used to having a big lump of plastic put in, the watering will subside and the lenses usually become more comfortable.
Gareth

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Fri 16 Jan 2009 1:26 am

Thanks Gareth.

I look forward to building up my wear time to something similar to yours. Hopefully it won't take too long to get used to my Dil lens.

On a good note I've found I can put it in and get it out without too much difficulty. Roll back a couple of years and there would have been no way I could have touched my eye, but KC has at least changed all that. :lol:

Return to “General Discussion Forum”