Son at Hospital

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Son at Hospital

Postby GarethB » Tue 16 Dec 2008 1:10 pm

Annie,

On the subject of grafts settling, it is very much a case of how long is a piece of string?

We are all different and since being part of the group just as many people need glasses as need contact lenses post graft. The general rule of thumb is to try glasses first and this is usually as soon as the eye appears to be going through relatively little change.

Both my eyes took about 12 months to settle, but after three months I was getting goodenough vision to drive with glasses. It is onmly 20 years later that I am back in contact lenses.
Gareth

Annie
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Annie » Fri 19 Dec 2008 4:51 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies. Good Luck Lucy on your op on the 8th Jan. My son has a letter to say he is on the short notice list, so that could mean anytime.

My son is a HGV mechanic so I guess he won't be going back to work too soon. He would prefer a general anesthetic and not a local. Could he ask for a GA does anyone know? I will keep everyone posted when he does have his op.

Annie

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Fri 19 Dec 2008 6:53 pm

Annie,
Have the hospital specified which anaesthetic he's booked in (or rather, not-booked) for?
Ig they have, and he wants to change it, he can always ask, and have to see what they say.
If they h aven't yet specified, I suggest he neds to discuss this with them when he gets a call-up (or a pre-op appointment).
I know different hospitals ahve different "norms". though how willing they are to change for the individual varies (0%, in one case I met, it seems.....!)
Rosemary

Return to “General Discussion Forum”