INTACS - does it help to anyone ?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

chriser00
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

INTACS - does it help to anyone ?

Postby chriser00 » Sun 07 Dec 2008 9:18 pm

Hi,

I have just been done CCL in my right (worst) eye.

Now my doctor wants to put an INTACS in this eye. I've read all the topics about INTACS and I see that for most of people INTACS bring no improvement. Some of them even need to remove an INTACS.

So I have a question. Is there anybody who is happy with INTACS (to who it bring better see) ?

Best regards,

Krzysztof

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: INTACS - does it help to anyone ?

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 08 Dec 2008 7:10 am

Krzysztof

I think that it is quite common nowadays for INTACS to be offered in conjunction with CXL. The theory seems to be that the crosslinking improves the stiffness and thickness of the cornea and the INTACS offer the required optical correction.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

chriser00
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chriser00 » Mon 08 Dec 2008 4:43 pm

Yes I understand that. However my question is different:

Is there anyone in this forum to whom inserting an INTACS bring an improvement of vision (without any side effects) ?

dplees
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby dplees » Mon 08 Dec 2008 6:40 pm

I've had INTACS removed reimplanted and I can't say that I'm a fan. I went to see David Jory at http://www.lcrs.co.uk/ the other day and he said that a new report suggests that custom made toric IOLs give better results.

naveed
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby naveed » Mon 08 Dec 2008 11:26 pm

Hi

I think as every cone is different , you cant just say intacts are good or bad , it will all depend on what your consultant thinks .

For example I have cone in the centre and a bit scaring so i was told its not possible ,

I would say get at least 2 or 3 opinions..

All the best

Naveed
It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives

pepepepe
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby pepepepe » Tue 09 Dec 2008 8:28 am

Generally it works better for mild KC, but mild KC is easier to correct with glasses or contacts. Its being used to try to get people back in to contacts or glasses when that is not possible beforehand. Its considered "a worth a try" before invasive surgery is indicated. However there are risks with anything done to the eye, which you should discuss with a consultant so that you can weigh up the advantages and disadvantages with your corneal readings to hand and see if you would like to under-go this surgery to gain some benefit or if the risks are greater. Personally I think the results are a bit hit and miss and can not be predicted with any certainty before under-going this surgery - this is only my view though.

Speedy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Speedy » Tue 03 Feb 2009 4:01 pm

dplees wrote:I went to see David Jory at http://www.lcrs.co.uk/ the other day and he said that a new report suggests that custom made toric IOLs give better results.

quite interesting. Are there any references for this?

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Tue 03 Feb 2009 10:35 pm

INTACS

They basically vary in success rate dependent on the individual and its hard to predict who is and isn't going to be successful with them. I have seen remarkable results with them - but also some problem cases.

Downside seems to be that some people (like dplees) become extremely sensitive and photophobic (light sensitive) after they are implanted. There is also the issue that some people see the reflections off the inside edges.

Intacs were originally developed to correct straightforward short sightedness and then adapted for KC. Where the thoughts about the IOLs come in is that if you now stiffen the cornea with CXL and stop progression, then IOLs can correct the residual astigmatism without inflicting more trauma on the cornea. Doubt if there is any rigid research on this as you would have to do a random study where people were arbitrarily assigned either intacs or toric IOLs. Only big institutions like hospitals can afford to do this - private clinics tend to try things out and report which seems to work best!

On balance, I see people who have more problems with intacs than those who do not - but then I would because they are seeking a solution to the problem whereas those who are fine just get on with their lives!

In the same way - those who are fine with their intacs probably do not read forums like these as they have no need to!

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Karl R » Wed 04 Feb 2009 9:46 am

chriser00 wrote:Is there anyone in this forum to whom inserting an INTACS bring an improvement of vision (without any side effects) ?

The answer to that is probably no, not without any side effects.

For me INTACS has brought a vast improvement in my vision, albeit I can see reflections off the inner edges in certain ambient light conditions. It is now almost 2 years since I had the op done and, although I've had a few "bad" moments along the way, I would consider it a success.

If you read through this thread it will give you an indication as to the difference it has made.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. (Salvador Dali 1904-1989)

chriser00
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chriser00 » Sun 08 Feb 2009 4:21 pm

Thank you for all the answers.

I have one more question related to INTACS.

I'm training jiu jitsu (smth like judo, without punching or kicking).

Do I need to resign from the trainings after having INTACS done (because of the fact that when i hit the ground after throw, smb put accidentaly a finger into my eye or hit me it may destroy an INTACS) ?

best regards

Krzysiek

Return to “General Discussion Forum”