One Day To CCL

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

naveed
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

One Day To CCL

Postby naveed » Wed 26 Nov 2008 1:14 am

Hi

One day to go , I am getting my first CCL/CXl on left eye which is quite bad . Although surgeon said cone has progressed maximum and it can not any further but i am getting it just to improve cornea thickness and give some support to fibres and to make reduce the risk of hydrop and also atleast to stop it at this stage where if I use RGP i get quite a good vision .

One very strange thing surgeon has told me it will be painful and it will start after 1 hour but i dont understand one person scares me of pain next person says he has no or little pain . (both cases epitheila was removed).

Same case is with hydrop people are very scare but same time people have no problem when it happened.

I can only pray my one goes without pain.

Once left eye is done I am booked for second eye on next thr.

I have also known a vey slight decrease in cone in some cases , which i hope also happens in my case .

I am getting it from David Jory in london , he seem to have quite a lot of experience .

It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: One Day To CCL

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 26 Nov 2008 8:27 pm

Every good wish, Naveed.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Wed 26 Nov 2008 9:18 pm

Naveed, all the best tomorrow.
Your last line is so right - it is so easy to not know what one has or is missing.
As for pain - I think people vary a lot in how they react to pain or discomfort.
And some people can ignore some sorts of pain but not others - for example, I can put up with lots of stiff aching muscles, bruises and the like from riding horses, falling off horses, having my feet trodden on by horses, etc etc - but reach for the Neurofen very quickly when I get a headache and get driven to distraction by the sort of insect bites that swell up and keep me awake itching half the night. And some other people I know would put up with all sorts of headache rather than fill themselves with painkillers, never get bothered by bites or stings - and can't imagine how I can get back up on a horse with all the bruises from last time I fell off one.
I guess eyes are the same - some people find that operations leave them just "uncomfortable" and others are climbing the walls.
Also, some people react better to painkillers than others - so someone might have one neurofen and lie down for 20 minutes and their migraine has gone, and others take far bigger doses and still don't completely block out the pain.
I hope yours will be in the "a bit uncomfortable" category and soon mend.
As for hydrops - I wouldn't say they were "no problem" quite; certainly not when the world went completely white only 8 weeks before I was due to start my Finals, which was rather scary, shall we say?! - but in pain terms I found it nothing that the occasional paracetamol tablet couldn't cope with.
If you ever want a really painful experience - try shingles! Actually, preferably, don't!! That was horrible. A band 3" wide all round my right hand side from spine to solar plexus, right under where the bottom of my bra should have been, except I couldn't wear one for 6 weeks. Yuk.
Rosemary

naveed
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby naveed » Thu 27 Nov 2008 1:33 am

Thanks

Andrew MacLean and rosemary johnson
It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives

lars
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lars » Fri 28 Nov 2008 3:56 am

I don't know whether you'll read this before or after the operation but generally pain is quite subjective and specifically pain from this operation is sth that may or may not affect you, it's sth completely individual. I personally know 4 persons having had CXL and only one was talking about pain after the operation.
However, even if you do have anything intense, it will only last for about 2 days to one week so if you consider what you may gain, this is nothing, believe me.
I hope everything goes well and the operation will be painless for you too.

Lars

naveed
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

CCL Done

Postby naveed » Fri 28 Nov 2008 4:28 pm

Hi Everyone

CCL on my left eye done.

Pain not too much , every thing went fine .

Other than money struck in pocket and it was quite hard to pay .......:) actually painful.......:):):) just jocking I am sure its worth it.

Looking forward to next eye CCL , I have delayed in to 2 weeks.

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 29 Nov 2008 1:28 pm

Good to hear that it went well; all the best with eye number 2
Andrew MacLean

naveed
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby naveed » Sat 29 Nov 2008 5:30 pm

Thanks Andrew........

gilly49
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby gilly49 » Wed 17 Dec 2008 11:05 pm

Hi Naveed
Just found your posts regarding your post op CXL. How are you going on?
New to the forum and have posted the same question so forgive my ignorance.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”