Short term soft contact lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

geoffito123

Short term soft contact lenses

Postby geoffito123 » Fri 21 Nov 2008 7:11 pm

Hello everyone,

I've had keratoconus for about 8 years and been wearing RGP with a fair bit of success for about 2 years. Unfortunately I recently broke (accidentally trod on, don't ask :-) one of my lenses so have made an appointment to see an opthalmologist and get a new set of lenses in about a month. However, in just over a week I have a job interview which may involve some written tests so I am panicking about struggling due to my poor eyesight without contact lenses. There is no way I can get hard lenses in time so was wondering whether it might be a short-term fix to get soft contact lenses until I see the opthalmologist to see me through the interview and the month until I get RGP's again.

It's the weekend now so not sure I'll be able to ask for help for the next couple of days so really wanted to see what you all thought.

Also, I haven't had glasses before but wondered whether anyone else with keratoconus has glasses for temporary use eg for slipping on in the evenings when watching a subtitled movie or reading. I find it irritating to have to put lenses on if I find I can't read certain books or subtitles late at night.

Thanks for your help!

Geoff

Amarpal
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Short term soft contact lenses

Postby Amarpal » Fri 21 Nov 2008 7:16 pm

Hi Geoff. Im not sure about this one. Some people with KC can still use glasses when their lenses are out, but it depends on how advanced your KC is. Is there no way of getting them to order a repeat of the lenses you had last time? If not, I suppose you could try going to an opticians to see if you would be able to get some glasses.
Hope you manage to work something out!
Amarpal

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Short term soft contact lenses

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 22 Nov 2008 6:26 pm

A great many people never progress beyond the point where their KC can be corrected by glasses with enough prism (?) to correct for their astigmatism.

My son has KC and wears glasses, although he thinks he will pretty soon need lenses.

For reading books at night, why not try wearing contact lenses and using reading glasses too? It worked for me!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”