Reviews

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Helen Scholar
Contributor
Contributor

Reviews

Postby Helen Scholar » Thu 14 Apr 2005 10:27 pm

Not checked in for a while, but interested in the new approaches mentioned on the discussion board as alternatives to transplants. However, it seems that things like intacs have to be considered at a relatively early stage - if things go too far it appears that the possibilities become more limited. I wondered then how often people should be seeing consultants - my son was diagnosed around age 11 and hasn't seen consultant since. He is now 16 and visits Manchester Royal Eye Hospital every four months for lens checks. He seems to be doing OK, but I wondered if those of you with knowledge of recent developments have a view as to whether I should ask for him to be reviewed, or leave it until someone at the clinic suggests it.

Sajeev
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Sajeev » Thu 14 Apr 2005 11:00 pm

Just a quick note...as I need to sleep :D
...I think it is very hard to decide for someone else whats best for them in the treatment for their KC, particularly because there are so much more options now then ever before...I mean its hard enough for a Kcer to decide!

I know someone who has a child with KC...and thier eye doctor advised them that things like Intacs would be best done when the childs eyes have stopped growing....also by that time things would have progressed even more with things like new technology and doctors getting even more experiance in these new fields...and of course your child would be an adult by then and can then think for themself which option they wanted to go for...

Best of Luck

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Fri 15 Apr 2005 3:13 pm

It might be a case that if your sone is doing fine with the current correction, keep on with it. On my last visit to the hospital, I met a lady who had worn lenses of one sort or another for over 30 years. She did not have KC, but it does show some people can lead a normal life without too much intervention.

If the technology available today was around 20 years ago, I would not of needed a graft so quickly. My KC might have had a chance to stabalise so that I could just wear Rose K lenses or the Scleral lens.

Should he need a change of eye correction, at least there is more available shot it be needed.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”