Take care of that graft

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Robert Smith

Take care of that graft

Postby Robert Smith » Fri 12 Mar 2004 10:12 pm

Dear All
I had a cornea graft 2 years ago and, until 10 days ago, had no trouble at all. However I woke up on a Sunday with a very irritable eye - as though I had an eyelash in it permanently. Thinking it would go away and not one to panic I rather ignored it till today. I am just back from the eye clinic who told me that the suture - the running stitch which holds the cornea in place while it is healing - had come undone and the ends were causing the irritation. The problem is that they could now cause a localised spot to develop which could lead to rejection. I am booked in to the clinic next Wednesday to have it removed.
The moral is- if you have had a graft and your eye gets irritated take it seriously and there is no harm in getting straight back to have it checked out.
Hopefully I won't suffer any ill effects.
Robert

John Smith
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Fri 12 Mar 2004 10:33 pm

Robert,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Looks like you've managed to get to it before a rejection does occur though. Glad to hear that you're still doing well.
John

Rob Armstrong

Postby Rob Armstrong » Sat 13 Mar 2004 2:43 am

Hi Robert Smith,

What a coincidence! I was just about to type a post describing the same thing when I read yours! So I know how you feel.

At the weekend I noticed my eye was a bit sticky and it felt like a dried up flake of sleep was in my eye or something. I didn't give it too much thought though, as sometimes I just have off days.

But it gradually got worse, and on Monday night I thought I could see a white patch on my cornea, which my family confirmed. I remembered a doctor telling me that loose stitches can collect mucus and debris. (He was removing a potential one as a precaution at the time). So I suspected thats what it could be.

On Tuesday I was suffering increasing discomfort, and was growing concerned. I've had no problems so far since my graft (just over a year ago), and was starting to think it could be an infection, or maybe even a rejection.

So I phoned the hospital and described what was happening. They didn't seem too concerned, as there was no redness, and I wasn't in pain - just discomfort. They said I could come in the next day, or before lunch if I got there quick. By now I was finding it increasingly uncomfortable to keep my eye open, so got down there straight away.

It was a broken stitch, luckily mine are individual, so it was quick and painless to whip it out. From the doctors description, I'm not sure if it was a loose stitch or a tight one that had snapped. Either way, I was glad to have it out!

It must have scratched the inside of my eyelid, because when the anaesthetic wore off, I was still in discomfort. Things were much better after a good nights sleep I'm glad to say.

Things are pretty much back to normal now, I just have to take antitbiotic drops for a few more days as a precaution.

But if I get that feeling again, I won't be leaving it for a few days, and hopefully those that have read this won't either!

Rob.

John Smith
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Sat 13 Mar 2004 2:47 am

Hi Rob,

I agree totally.

Last week, I woke up with my eye being a little cloudy (OK, very cloudy). I remembered RSVP and took myself to eye casualty. After being seen by 2 doctors and then my consultant, I was told that I was undergoing a mild rejection episode.

So I'm back on the steroid drops every 2 hours.

My graft was done 2 years ago - the day after Robert's - and my single stitch is due for removal sometime soon. I don't know yet how this latest episode is going to affect it though.
John

Jane Webb

Postby Jane Webb » Wed 17 Mar 2004 12:14 am

Robert

I'm glad to hear your comments on problems with stitches so I know what to look out for. I have a running suture in my eye and on my last visit about 6 weeks ago, the consultant had to pull the stitches along as they were uneven and gave distorted vision - not painful at the time, but v. uncomfortable once the numbing drops had worn off.

I have been told to reduce the anti-rejection drops from 4 times a day to none until my next appointment which is this coming Wednesday. My sight hasn't improved at all since the stitch pulling episode but my eye does feel slightly itchy. I'm frightened to use the drops that I often have to use for my other eye as I do tend to suffer from conjuctivitis from time to time. I think I will mention the itchy eye and whether it's okay to use these drops which can be very soothing.

Jane

Return to “General Discussion Forum”