Intacs Removal

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

alice44
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Intacs Removal

Postby alice44 » Mon 17 Nov 2008 10:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was just after some advice on my intacs. I haven't posted here for a while as I wanted to let things settle before I came to any conclusions about my progress over the last few months.

I have now had intacs in for over a year (14 months) and after the initial hopes of improvement I have now unfortunately come to the conclusion that they have not been successful. The vision in my eye is pretty bad. I see two of everything, everything is heavily distorted, I get really bad halos, things are misty (especially in low light) and on top of that I can see the edges of my intacs when looking at most light sources.

My perscription has never really settled, but whatever the changes it still produces the same poor vision in the intacs eye.

I feel like I have given them a good year and I'm now seriously considering approaching my surgeon on my next visit and asking if he can remove them, so I have some questions I hope someone can answer.

1. Does it cost to have them removed?
2. Is it rather like having them inserted, or more or less painful?
3. Will there be any damage to my eye?
4. Will my sight return to roughly how it was before the operation?

Any personal experiences or advice on these matters would be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Alice

naveed
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Intacs Removal

Postby naveed » Mon 17 Nov 2008 11:46 pm

Really sorry to hear that , dont have the answers but I was thinking to get intacts for myself but i think I will have to forget the idea as a Lot of other people are claiming the same .

Just one question did you got intacts by conventional methood or by new one.

All the best and hope you get better ..
It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 18 Nov 2008 7:24 am

Alice

I am sorry you have run into this trouble. Remind us, was your INTACS surgery performed under the NHS or as a private contract?

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

alice44
Contributor
Contributor

Postby alice44 » Tue 18 Nov 2008 5:37 pm

Thanks guys!

My operation was done privately and I have my final follow up appointment next month.

I would seriously think carefully if you are considering intacs. There really is no quick fix for keratoconus and I think I was a little unrealistic about the chances of their success.

That is not to say, however, that this is always the case. I know they have worked for some people, but back to the drawing board for me!

Alice

Return to “General Discussion Forum”