KC and employer attitudes.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Has you employer been helpful or understanding in relation to KC?

Yes
67%
No
33%
Not Applicable
No votes

Total votes: 6

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

KC and employer attitudes.

Postby Karl R » Wed 12 Nov 2008 12:31 pm

Like other members of the group, I have experienced, and am still experiencing difficulties, with an employer in regard to my KC, reasonable adjustments and disciplinary actions related to what should be DDA covered absences.

My last employer was taken to an Employment Tribunal and settled before the case hearing. As for my current employer, a well known telecommunications company, all I can say at the moment is that certain issues are still ongoing and have not been resolved.

Have any of you experienced difficulties with their employer or do you have a helpful and understanding employer, if so please post here.

As this is a public forum for confidentiality do not post personally identifiable information, and for legal reasons do not identify your employer by name.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. (Salvador Dali 1904-1989)

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: KC and employer attitudes.

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 12 Nov 2008 1:02 pm

My employer could not have been more helpful.

1 When i lost my sight, they arranged for me to go to the RNIB training centre in Glasgow.
2 They committed to providing me with any equipment that I might need as aids in my work.
3 The RNIB submitted a report to the JobCentrePlus and to my employer
4 Job Centre Plus and my employer provided me with a new computer, a video magnifier and lots of hand held devices.

I know that others have not had such a positive experience.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 12 Nov 2008 1:13 pm

My employer is very understanding, this issues that I have had were more to do with the line manager. My supervisor from 2004 to mid-2007 was really good but her eplacement I never felt was quite so accomodating. Just change jobs within the same company just as my vision took a turn for the worse. Still got the job and my new supervisors are really accomodating and helpful.

I can now work from home if needs be as I have the large screens, magnifiers and voice to text software. Soemtimes use it at work when I can see because it is quicker than typing!
Gareth

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Karl R » Thu 13 Nov 2008 7:36 am

50/50 split so far.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. (Salvador Dali 1904-1989)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”