Intacts....some advice please

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Craig Duncan

Intacts....some advice please

Postby Craig Duncan » Sun 09 Nov 2008 12:28 pm

Hi to all

I have been attending the Gartnavel ( Glasgow) contact lens clinic for a number of years now and have "Moderate to severe" Keratoconus in my Left eye and evidence it is in the very early stages in my right eye also.

Having been through trying every type of Contact lens imaginable on my left eye I have now been referred back to the Consultant last week. The long and short of it is he is intending fitting my goodself with Intacts at the start of December this year. I have been informed this is relatively new and not many people have gone under the knife so to speak.

My level of eyesight is pretty dreadful in my left eye ( Can't see any letters on the chart) and now at the stage I have a balance Lens in my glasses for this eye, with the right one doing all the work to give me 20 / 20 vision, as my brain was struggling to cope with what it was seeing through both eyes. i.e reading a book etc was near impossible with both eyes open.

I do not have any concerns about getting this done as I have 100% Confidence in the Consultant and really I have nothing to lose and I also get a feeling that all the staff involved are excited about this procedure getting carried out.

How many of you have had this procedure and what was the recovery time like....i.e. I have been advised i'll will be off work for 7 days ( I realise everybody is different) and furthermore any issues you encountered.

Much obliged

Craig

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Intacts....some advice please

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 10 Nov 2008 7:25 am

Craig

All t he best with this.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

jamesar
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby jamesar » Tue 11 Nov 2008 3:07 pm

I have the same bad left eye, better right eye like you. I had intacs put in my left eye 1.5 years ago, I now have no intacs in my left eye. Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong for me. Alas, I had the intacs removed, the inferior first, as it had started to poke through my cornea, then I had the inferior intac removed about 2 months ago. It took forty five minutes and hurt like hell. But I am only telling you MY experience, you will most likely have a better outcome than I. Just remember to look after yourself for a while after the operation. I did not, and am now confident my party hard lifestyle probably contributed to the failure of the intacs.

Good luck mate :)

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Karl R » Wed 12 Nov 2008 12:14 pm

You can read about my experience here:

Intacs Operation Diary

Since I last updated this the KC in the right eye is still progressing, albeit at a vastly reduced rate, and have now gone back to 3 monthly follow up appointments. The KC in my left eye (untreated) has remained stable.

Fortunately, from a financial viewpoint, at my last appointment this month although I have lost a line on the Snellen Chart, I did not need to have a new prescription. VA (aided) in both eyes is 6/6, where as previously on new prescription it was 6/5.

From other posts made by different members it would seem that I am very fortunate with the outcome of the operation, as others have not faired so well.

Whatever you choose, I wish you well
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. (Salvador Dali 1904-1989)

Craig Duncan

Postby Craig Duncan » Thu 13 Nov 2008 2:45 am

Karl

Many thanks for sharing your experience...a bit more wise as to what to expect.

and thanks to all who replied

Cheers

Craig

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 13 Nov 2008 10:35 am

Hi Craig
I don't know if you're on our mailing list - if not, do PM or e-mail me your postal address, and I'll send you the DVD of our last conference which included talks on Intacs plus a newsletter which included another member's experience. All the best if you decide to go ahead.
anne@keratoconus-group.org.uk
Anne

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Thu 13 Nov 2008 12:30 pm

A keep point to remember about this support group and anyother is that often it is those who are having problems that are the most active so you can get a distorted view of treatment options suggesting more negative outcomes than is the norm..
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”