intacs

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Fri 29 Jul 2005 9:05 pm

Ade

Thats really unfortunate news!!........I hope your cornea is ok....and heals for the graft!

Do they know what went wrong?....this is def a first I have heard for an Intac going wrong.....
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

ade waller
Contributor
Contributor

intacs

Postby ade waller » Fri 29 Jul 2005 9:57 pm

Hi Jay thanks for your concerns cornea feels ok at the moment but i have proberly got alot of drugs in me from the hospital.

the surgan just told me that when he took the old intacs out they damaged the cornea and was therefore unable to replace them he did not go into detail but was very sure he wanted to get the graft done asap

Drew Radcliffe
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Re: intacs

Postby Drew Radcliffe » Fri 29 Jul 2005 11:12 pm

Ade really feeling for you here you have had a rough time.

ade waller wrote:he took the old intacs out they damaged the cornea

Little concerned is it not the surgeon removing the intacs that damaged the cornea and not the the intacs themselves.

ade waller wrote:he did not go into detail but was very sure he wanted to get the graft done asap

Please tell me to go elsewhere but I feel compelled to say something. Both precedures have their mechanical risks but if a surgeon cannot remove a set of intacs I wouldn't let him touch me with a graft, particulary when it seems logical that it would be covering up any shortfalls from a previous procedure.

Has he given you a thorough explanation of what went wrong, that instills confidence or has he allowed you a second opinion from a surgeon not under his guidance?

I can only guess how you feel right now and I know when I have experienced issues of a similar nature its easy to be led by a surgeon who you have faith in.

Go easy and good luck.

Drew

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sat 30 Jul 2005 11:00 am

Ade

Repeating Drew's post, there is something really odd here...from my understanding removing Intacs is a simple 10 minute procedure..which is what really threw me of when I read your post.....

When you had it done do you know how they created the channels?....was it laser or manual?.....if the latter than that would explain a few things....

I guess all you can do now is wait to see how the cornea closes..or at least the top layers.....I would suspect that may be quite fast....2-4 weeks from indications.......

Def keep us posted.......but if I was in your case I would be asking questions and seeking a possible look at your cornea by another consultant...once the layers have healed...and as far as getting the graft done by him; I would only proceed once you have utter confidence in him........and judging by the ways things have gone it MAY be not such a good idea.....
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -

(C) Copyright 2005 KP

ade waller
Contributor
Contributor

intacs

Postby ade waller » Sat 30 Jul 2005 8:07 pm

well im now completly confused what happened.

the surgury was done manually

as for a second opinion were do i go who do i speek to im very scared right now

i trust the person and his team who done my surgury but im loosing faith jay you seem to know so much on this subject have you done the operation yourself?

i just want everything to get back to normal since i was 21 ive stopped doing everything i loved football darts ect my social life i disserpering now that i can not drive i feel trapped im only 28 i feel like im 50 i lost out on a social work placement this year beacause of my eye and now i can not drive i am unable to continue with my current work placement with social services as it meens i need to drive to clients homes

will this nightmare ever end

if it was not for the loving smile of my daughter and the love of my wife i dount now how i would be coping right now

i know tthere are no right or wrong answers i just whish i had never got this condition

Drew Radcliffe
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Drew Radcliffe » Sat 30 Jul 2005 8:50 pm

Hi Ade

Its real easy to get things out of prespective when we are using a means of communication like the forum. The meanings of what is said don't always read as they were meant especially when the issues that are being discussed are stressfull and personal.

Im sure the Optoms will be able to steer you in the best direction to find out where to get the support you need. But this is how I dealt with a similar event.

When I found myself in a similar situation two years ago I went back to my GP and discussed my options with him. He was enormassly supportive and was not only able to discuss my issues with my current consultant but was also able to balance my needs against my outlook at the time and he supported me in obtaining the treatment that was right for me. In the end I did change consultants but this isn't neccesarily the best thing for you its just an option.

The thing about KC is it creates two limitations. One you can't see as well as you think you need to so you limit yourself to your misconceptions. Two you limit yourself because you can't or won't adapt to accomodate your vision on a tempory or permenant basis.

I see you have given up lots like most of us. I am two years older than you I have lost my driving licence (and I used to race mini's) which really gutted me when i had to stop. I now drive landrovers off road and 60mph and I can't see where the hell im going - its great.

You can sit at home and take it on the chin (I did for about 6 months) and wait for the medics to fix you or you can get out there and challenge your own beliefs and those of others.

http://www.britishblindsport.org.uk/who.htm

This link may help if you want to find somewhere to get back into football and compete at a level where everyone else is limited by vision. The great thing about this kind of organisation is you only have to consider it an option whilst your eyes are causing a problem. If the medics sort you out your back in mainstream sport when your ready for it.

I am amazed that not being able to drive has limited you in a social work placement. There is normally funding to support you to travel either directly or through access to work. Yes it does probably mean taxi's everywhere but who cares you got a life to lead.

Drew

ade waller
Contributor
Contributor

intacs

Postby ade waller » Sat 30 Jul 2005 8:59 pm

thanks drew for your support

im just feeling down right now i will pick myself up

the raceing sounds fun!

i will look into the social work more when i get back im off work for the next two weeks

good idear about speaking to the gp i might give it a go

thanks also for the web sight

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sat 30 Jul 2005 9:14 pm

Ade

Again, on the back of what Drew just said

I can imagine how you feel. Infact, I dont need to imagine as I went through and still am!

I, and I am sure many others on here and/or reading this, will have given something up as KC gets a hold of you....however, whilst I would be inclined to say to you that in time things will get better; its getting through these periods where you need strength. Clearly your daughter and wife are helping; and thats exactly what I had used; without my Wife Id have been in deep shite without a paddle; as the support from her has been immense.

However, getting back to your condition now. Its good that you feel comfortable with your consultant. What Id be inclined to do in your position is to speak with him; either via an appointment or a phone call. Depending on how you was seen this may require time; or he may just want you to wait till the next appointment.

From what you have said; I would suspect that during the Intac extraction there was slightly more/deeper a cut than required in the first layer of the cornea. However, I am not a Optham and I CAN be wrong. I think your best bet now is to wait for the cornea to heal As its Intac removal (and nothing else occured during the extraction) I would suspect the cornea will heal within the 2-4 week time period. Have they given you Corticosteroids and probably Chloramphenical as there would be in incision thus increasing chances of Infection?

Until the cornea heals there is really not much you can do...and thats the bottom line. WIth regards to a second opinion; thats something you can do at any stage; either through NHS or Private. If its merely a 2nd opinion and thats all you will get seen within days on Private. But again, dont go making rash decisions...speak with your consultant....see what he says, and then if you feel comforable take it from there.

With regards to this procedure, I just kept an eye on it (excuse the pun) along with a few others that may prove extremely useful for us KC parents. This is the first time I have heard of it going wrong in all honesty..to the extent of what you have said.
However, all is not lost. Wait for the healing, and each day will get better....and then you will be in a better position to take things further.

How is your other eye?...are you able to function currently?

Dont lose hope!...I cant recall whether both your eyes were affected; but you do have options after this period passes; albeit graft. Its just getting through this bit that requires focus and patiences..and I know thats sometimes easier said than done!...

(C) Copyright 2005 KP

ade waller
Contributor
Contributor

intacs

Postby ade waller » Sat 30 Jul 2005 9:41 pm

hi jay

my eye is healing well

my sight overal is ok i can cope with day to day things at the moment my left eye does have KC but not as bad its been weird over the last few months i can see things nornaly aslong as they are close by however i keep loosing focus on things whci are far away for example i was in town today and when i was looking at people acrross the road the looked like shadows not people i could see the shape of there body ect but not all there fetures scary it gave me such a headache and i felt ver faint i see alot better in darker rooms bright light is very difficult for me

thanks for all your support

jamiemwhite
Vision: Contact lenses

lenses driving me mad

Postby jamiemwhite » Fri 25 Jun 2010 12:51 pm

hi everyone i have had KC for 11yrs i had c3r cross linking 18months ago in hope of it not getting any worse but 4 months after my eyes have become really sensitive to my lenses rose k so i was advised to try so 2 clears which where ok for the first wk but then they started feeling worse than the rose k felt like they where digging in to my eyes i could only wear them for 2 hrs at the most but my opptician was telling me they where fine,so i then tried kerosoft 3 but could not see any thing properly really bad vision i stuck with them for 6 months trying different fits but had really bad double vision and lots of ghosting so then i tried another fit in rose k having the same problems as before then advised to try piggy backing with a daily disspsible soft lens with rose k2 on top which wasnt much better and made the lenses slip off my eyes so i could not see then id blink lese would move back in to place forabout ten seconds ad then same thing again.i dont know what to try next doing my head in i have have given thought to sceralls but dont know if i get the same problems as the so 2 clears,can any body advise me on what to do next?all theise problems have began since i had cross linking done! i was fine for 10 yrs with rose k.thanks!jamie.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”