Grafts,yes or no?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

moozley
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Grafts,yes or no?

Postby moozley » Tue 26 Aug 2008 6:01 pm

I've just been told that I'm at graft stage.I'm gutted.What if it goes wrong?Nobody really tells you what will happen if they just keep rejecting?
I know I'm not being very possitive here but I have only been told this today after pinning my hopes on INTACS that my eye is now too far gone for.The joys of living in a country that has no INTACS kits.

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Grafts,yes or no?

Postby rosemary johnson » Tue 26 Aug 2008 6:40 pm

Moozley, commiserations on the sudden shock news. I remember how I nearly fell through the floor in shock when they said my eyes were both at the stage where a graft was in order, and told me to decide if I wanted to go ahead.
I think the first thing to suggest is to sit down with large mug of tea/hot chocolate/slab of cake or whatever, and try to recover from the initial shock.
Then get a pad and a pen and start to make lists of what you have to gain from a successful graft, what you might stand to lose, and questions you want to ask your eye doctors at your next appointment.
Of course you don't have to go ahead - some peple have prefered to be registered blind - and it is your say-so not the doctor's.
Persistent and/or catastrophic rejections are very rare - rejecton episodes can and do happen, but can usually be turned round, if you get to the casualty promptly if anything seems to be amiss. Generally it is a case of extra eye drops.
They should give you lists of the warning signs - if the eye is red and sore and streaming or the vision is going misty, gget to A&E quickly.
There's an acronym for this of RSVP which Andrew or someone will no doubt fill in.
Most other post-graft problems with the eye itself can be sorted out with prompt medical attention.
Which isn't to say that disasters don't ever happen.... rarely.
Sorry to hear that the intacs option didn't work out.
There's another topic started recently by crakerjacker about whether to go ahead with a graft - you migh be interested in some of the comments on there.
est of wishes with it all
Rosemary

moozley
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby moozley » Thu 28 Aug 2008 9:04 pm

Thank you!
I think I have finally calmed down after my initial shock.It just hit me like a tonn of bricks on Tuesday.
I'll look up that topic and see what everyones saying.It's good to hear ''real'' peoples experiences.It's way too easy for a doctor to sit and tell you in technical or even ''dumbed'' down terms how you should feel.
I'm 24 with the most beautiful little girl in the world,I refuse to give in :lol:

dweezil1968
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby dweezil1968 » Sun 31 Aug 2008 10:47 am

hi, i had my graft last November, I couldnt have Intacs and there was no lens they could make so i couldnt see- i had no choice and was glad to be given the graft option- if it works I will be able to see which I can do now- so whats to lose?
rejection is rare and often can be stopped with treatment, i have not had this issue, just the usual stuff, you take the drops and be careful and it should all be ok

good luck!!!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 31 Aug 2008 12:48 pm

moozley

Why not ask your ophthalmologist about the clinical indicators for a graft? That is, ask what it is about your condition as it is now that makes a graft a good idea.

Ask about other treatment options. Have lenses really been exhausted as a method of managing your KC? Would INTACS or CXL be viable.

Ask about what might go wrong: you will be told stuff that will scare you even more, but also ask about the relative chances of your suffering because of surgery as opposed to suffering because you do not have surgery.

Then you will be well placed to make your decision.

I must say that in my own case, I have never regretted having either of my two grafts. But, on the day I agreed to have my first, the ophthalmologist spoke to me, let me go back to the waiting room; spoke to me again and let me think some more and then, on the third time in the consulting room, after all my questions had been answered, I agreed to the procedure.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”