Buying RGP Lenses online

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Snowball
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Buying RGP Lenses online

Postby Snowball » Wed 20 Aug 2008 10:00 am

I have recently lost my RGP contact lens that I got from Moorfields Eye Hospital.

As I have recently been discharged, Moorfields have refused to order me a replacement as I am not a patient there anomore.

It would take months to get re-referred, have the appointment, and get a new lens.

My plan is to ask Moorfields for my lens prescription and order it privately, maybe even online.

Could anyone advise whether this a good idea or not. Are lens prescriptions as straight-forward as glasses, or might there be problems with the fit?

Also, where might be the best and most trustworthy shop/website from which to order them?

I would appreciate any input, thank you.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Buying RGP Lenses online

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 20 Aug 2008 6:23 pm

Snowball

Welcome to the forum.

I know that it seems attractive to source lenses on line, but with KC the fit can change quickly, so there is no way of knowing that a prescription that is correct in July will still be right for you in September. You really do need someone to look at your eye when you get your new lenses to see if they fit as they should.

If you can find a good high street optometrist who is experienced in fitting lenses to KC eyes, then you may be on a winner, but I should strongly advise against sourcing your lenses online.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Wed 20 Aug 2008 7:37 pm

Hi Snowball,

I agree with Andrew you really need to be under the care of someone who can check the fit of the lens.

I have had lenses made to the same prescription, but from different manufacturers, and the lens were not the same. One was comfortable, but the replacement was agony after a few days. When the lenses were checked they both met the prescription.

Why did Moorfields discharge you? What did they recommend you were to do in the future? I would have thought that they would have suggested when you would need your next check up. Good luck in finding someone who can help you.

Lia

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Wed 20 Aug 2008 9:55 pm

Hi.
I'll echo Lia - who discharged you and why??
If Moorfields fitted your lenses, they should keep you on the books and give you regular check-up appointments.
Did you cancel or not show up for too many of these?? - they shouldn't just discharge you as long as you've had an appointmnet in the last year and you certainly should if you've been fitted lenses by them.
You may know the answer to this one (!) but otherwise, I would seriously query why anyone says you're discharged.
Having said that.... there's never any harm in geting hold of your last prescription, or for that matter the rest of your medical records too. All of which can be requested under the Data Proctection Act - and might be quicker than asking a consultant to supply the prescription so you can order elsewhere...... the head of the Medical Records Dept is a guy called Derek Scott, who struck me as very friendly and helpful.
But I do agree with both Andrew and Lia - the last prescription may not be what you want for a new lens now, particularly if you have been discharged for not darkening the doors for over a year. The labs that supply the "professionals" probably wouldn't take an order from an ordinary lens wearer, and anyone else may not accept an old prescription. Bummer I know in the circumstances.
Good luck with it.
Rosemary

Return to “General Discussion Forum”