Anyone using SynergEyes KC Lenses??

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

chrisdemetriou
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Anyone using SynergEyes KC Lenses??

Postby chrisdemetriou » Fri 15 Aug 2008 9:02 pm

Hey,

I've just received my first SynergEyes KC Lens for my left eye. Will be giving this a go when my glasses arrive. I have to wear both at the same time! :shock:

Does anyone else use these? If so, do you have to balance the lens with 3 fingers whilst you fill it up with sterile saline before inserting them in?

Be interested to know if anyone does this too. :D
C3R + SynergEyes KC + Glasses

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Re: Anyone using SynergEyes KC Lenses??

Postby rosemary johnson » Sun 17 Aug 2008 7:24 pm

Never used Synergise, but have been filling scleral lenses to the brim with saline for years now.
And K-Lens before that - oh yes, the wonder and bitterly lamented K-Lins...
I can normally manage to hold the thing with two fingers. ut do I gather that SYneriese are (part-) soft and would fold up on themselves without using 3 fingers?
WHy the glasses as well? - can they not correct the visual acuity with just the lens, or have they hust not got one spot on yet?
Rosemary

chrisdemetriou
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chrisdemetriou » Mon 18 Aug 2008 7:28 am

Yeah glasses as well. I didn't question the consultant, he's the boss. Yeah I'll have to use 3 fingers to hold the Synergeyes KC Lens when I've filled it to the brim as I can't balance it with only 2 with all that liquid held in there. If only someone invented a machine that did all this and popped them in for you too.. :D . I guess its practice, practice, practice. A small price to pay to get such great vision. The difference having them in is utterly amazing. considering the steep cones I'm so chuffed there is the technology and expertise out there to help.

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Lizb » Tue 19 Aug 2008 7:39 pm

Hiya

I started with SynergEyes KC (left eye - KC) and SynergEyes A (right eye - no KC) about 3-4 weeks ago. First pair were a bit tight so am on second pair now and am still wearing them 13+ hours later :D

I am using OxySept One Step Solution for cleaning and storing my lenses, and whilst my contact lenses fitter didnt say anything to me about putting saline solution in them before putting them in i have been finding it more comfortable to put a drop of "dry eye" drops (suitable for contacts) into each one before inserting them. I dont need to use 3 fingers to support the lenses, though i do insert the lenses by holding top lid withforefinger, bottom lid with ring finger and inserting the lens with middle finger.

I dont find the lenses folding up on itself at all, the centre section (semi-rigid??) allows it to sit on my finger comfortably and hte soft flange (is what my fitter called it) just sits there.

Must admit after trying normal lenses and piggy backing i had given up on being able to be comfortable in lenses so the last 3 weeks have been great for me - i can see properly from both eyes. though taking them out and seeing afterwards is a pain in the butt.

Hope you have as much success with your lenses as i am having with mine. If you have any questions just give me a shout.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

chrisdemetriou
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chrisdemetriou » Tue 19 Aug 2008 11:12 pm

Thanks for that Liz. Yeah I cant wait to start using the new SynergEyes Lens on my left once my glasses and Amidose arrive. Although, I must say the Soft-K's I've currently got in are sooooooooo comfortable, hardly feel they are in, but I'm assuming the rigid centre on the SynergEyes will give me even better vision.

Simon Miles

Postby Simon Miles » Tue 19 Aug 2008 11:54 pm

I have been using the Synergeyes KC lenses for about 9 Months now. They are much more comfortable than rpg's but I find I get very poor night vision from them which really bothers me, double vision, streamers etc.

I fill them with Theratears liquid gel as it makes it less of a balancing act than using saline and helps with comfort.

pet116
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby pet116 » Wed 19 Nov 2008 12:43 am

You people from the UK using Synergeyes lenses, how did you manage to obtain these lenses? I know they are available in the States and Canada, but is there anywhere in Britain, preferably England where one might obtain a pair or two?

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 19 Nov 2008 12:24 pm

pet 116

Welcome to the forum

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

chrisdemetriou
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chrisdemetriou » Wed 19 Nov 2008 12:48 pm

not sure if you can get them on the NHS, but I got prescribed them seeing a consultant at Harley St. They are excellent in terms of comfort. The vision is good, but the only downside is I get shadowing over bright light sources (car lights, lamps, illuminated signs). Small price to pay for the immense benefit they give. i highly recommend them.

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Lizb » Thu 20 Nov 2008 5:50 pm

I got my lenses from my optician on the NHS - £51.50 per lens (apparently there are only a couple of opticians in the UK that do prescribe these lenses though). My opticians is Broadhurst Opticians (based in Preston, Blackpool and Lytham). I was referred to them from Royal Preston Hospital as RPH dont have their own contact lens fitter and refer patients to Broadhursts for contact lens fitting etc for Kerataconus amongst other conditions.

Sorry if this isnt making much sense but i am on extremely large font so i cant see all the screen at once, as not got lenses in at the moment. Usually have no problems with the lenses but havent been wearing them due to illness so got to get my wear time back up again.
Last edited by Lizb on Thu 20 Nov 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

Return to “General Discussion Forum”