Contact lens Solution - HELP!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

dazzabee
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Contact lens Solution - HELP!

Postby dazzabee » Thu 24 Jul 2008 1:00 am

I wear a hard gas pearmeable lens and use the Amo Total Care solutions - the 30ml cleaning solution and the 120 ml storing and wetting solution. Well, whilst in New Zealand I found that over there AMO sell this in one complete 120ml bottle called Total Care 1. I have spoken to Amo directly and they tell me it is exactly the same as the two seperate bottles in place here but the complete formula is not available in the UK for 'marketting reasons'. Marvelous.

I have since gone back to use the two step formula but it is not as comfortable on my eye for some unknown reason. I am just wondering what other solutions are available as I cannot see the Amo product being the only one on the market here in the UK?

Please help as this stinging every morning is not good! I know there is nothing wrong with my eye as it happened in NZ when I ran out of the one step formula and used the two step Uk version again it stung. i went back to the one step - no problem.Something in this UK two step product does not like my eye!

Help!

Many thanks,

Jay
Jay

Irregular Cornea Foundation
www.ic-f.org
E-mail info@ic-f.org
Tel: 01788 529 937

asylumxl
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Re: Contact lens Solution - HELP!

Postby asylumxl » Thu 24 Jul 2008 7:00 pm

I don't know the solution, but I'll give it a go.

How old are your bottles of the two step solution?
Is one preservative free?
Have you thoroughly rinsed the contact?

That's all I can come up with. The stinging could possibly be due to a corneal abrasion and something in the solution is reacting with your eye.

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Thu 24 Jul 2008 9:25 pm

Hi there,

Stinging can be due to many reasons but the most likely is an allergy or sensitivity to a component of the solution or its pH value, that is, if it is acidic or alkaline. Many people get on better with one solution than another.

There is no easy way to say this solution or that is going to be better than another. Even if they do not sting, some may feel more comfortable in the eye than others.

One way of checking this out is to go into an opticians and ask about solutions and if you are very lucky they may let you have a "starter" kit to try a solution. if one works, it would only be polite to buy from this optician at least once!

Another option is to try a hydrogen peroxide system (usually used with soft lenses) as when the peroxide in neutralised, there is no preservative present.

Most people do go through this trial and error system until they find something that really suits them!

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

dazzabee
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby dazzabee » Thu 24 Jul 2008 10:47 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I did speak to somebody at Moorfields. She said that after a while the eye can get too used to a solution and "fight back." I was using it fine for over 2 years but when i found this one step formula (which strangely Amo told me was the same as the two-step) it worked a lot better with no reation.

I will speak to Moorfields again and see if there is an alternative.
Jay

Irregular Cornea Foundation
www.ic-f.org
E-mail info@ic-f.org
Tel: 01788 529 937

Return to “General Discussion Forum”