What shall I do??????

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Peewack
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

What shall I do??????

Postby Peewack » Tue 22 Jul 2008 8:31 am

I've had KC for over 20 years and I wear rpgs, which work for me ( touch wood). I have a dilema....

The local radio station has had a competition on how to keep the children occupied in the summer holidays. We have four children so my wife, in her wisdom, entered the competition and won it ! We are due to attend various local attractions and then give our verdict as a family on the pros and cons of each attraction. So far so good....

One of the locations is called Blue Plant Aquarium in Ellesmere Port, which is a really good modern aquarium. We are due to have a great day out there, although there is one small or should I say LARGE dilema. As part of the package one of us is invited to swim with the sharks!!!!! Our children are 3,4,9 and 13 years old, and there have been many occassions over the years were I would gladly feed them to pirannahs, sharks or the bogey monster, but in reality I suppose it really comes down to either myself or my lovely wife Gill. We have debated this at length, Gill is up for the challenge but does not want to be seen in a wet suit, stating that her bum would look big in it. I have assured her that sharks have very poor eye sight and they probably would not be too critical regarding oversized postieriers. Now, when I do go swiming I do leave my lenses in, otherwise I just wouldn't be able to see anything, I just try and avoid getting splashed so I don't displace the lenses. Does anyone know whether sharks splash a lot????

I would like to have a go at this, but I would have to keep my lenses in and obviously wear the full scuba diving gear with face mask. Has anyone else done any scuba diving with RPGS ? Is it a problem or is it a complete no go?

Please let me know your thoughts.

cheers
Peter

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: What shall I do??????

Postby Matthew_ » Tue 22 Jul 2008 3:44 pm

Peter,
I don't how it works in your house but in mine anything which confirms any statement ref size of posterior is probably a mistake! :lol: I could be wrong on this but I think you are meant to argue the point not explain the shark's viewpoint! :lol:
Anyhow, to answer the question, scuba diving can be achieved with lenses. The only risk really is loosing the lenses as it would be when you swim. The pressure effects are not a problem and there is no medical reason why you could not. Make sure you give the lenses a good clean once you have finished your dive. :D

Get a life...get a dog!

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Tue 22 Jul 2008 10:07 pm

Well, it sounds like Ellesmere Port is considerably more exciting a place to go than in the days when I lived in Bromborough!
I say Go FOr It! Not every day you get that sort of a chance.
OTOH, in th einterests of family harmony ...... none of the wey suits I've ever seen or attempted to squeeze myself into were even remotely flattering to anyone's figure. The aim is to stop you freezing not to be height of fashion. If she can get the thing on and done up - and peel it off afterwards, for that matter - she's looking no worse than anyone lse in a wet suit.
At least...... that was when I went wind surfing in my somewhat younger days.
Have a wonderful time! I'm sure you won't really be feeding the kids to the sharks.
Rosemary

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Wed 23 Jul 2008 8:32 am

Having spent a good portion of my working life in wet suit, I hope thats not true, Rosmary :oops: :D :lol:
Peter, In my experience Sharks don't splash at all unless they are in the final throes of a feeding frenzy... :shock:
Enjoy!

Get a life...get a dog!

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Fri 25 Jul 2008 9:42 pm

Matthew, I'm sure your wet suit is your own and selected for you and flatters you enormously!
I think my trouble with them is of those owned by clubs for members' use, so you pick one that sort of might fit, rather than having yours in particular.
One size suit nobody.
Or rather, if it was a busy day, and you actually wanted to sial today, put on the first one to become free, even if two sizes too ig (or too small) and get out there.
And hope for early arrive=al of summer weather when swimming cozzie and t shirt would do fine.
I'm still sure the sharks won't care, anyway.
ROsemary

Return to “General Discussion Forum”