Hydrops and Recent post with photo of eye and hydrops

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Hydrops and Recent post with photo of eye and hydrops

Postby Susan Mason » Sat 19 Jul 2008 1:29 pm

Hello all

Am I going nutty or what??? I thought earlier in the week when I scanned the forum (after a bit of trouble finding the discussion pages - it seems we have to log on now to access????) that I saw a post of a members eye with hydrops. Looking for it now I can't seem to see it.

You may wonder why well back on the 17th June, whilst at work I got what I thought was some dirt/sleep or debri under my left sceral lens. I went to clean it and popped it back in only to find that I still could not see and everything was almost steamy or foggy. The lens came out and I contacted the hospital and after ratehr a bit of messing about (my sis suggesting I went to see her SHO as she is a nurse at a neighbouring hospital) my local hospital finnally agreed and I was seen by a doc. Hydrops I was told which was what I suspected. I felt a bit of a waste of time as I was sure I was making things worse than they were however two days later I saw the consultant and he advised I had done the right thing.

Originally on the Tues pm the doc had prescribed sodium chloride and cyclopentolate drops, CPL ointment, dilating drops and minims artificial tears. The sodium chloride and cyclopentolate drops I could not get until the Weds afternoon however, used from then until my consultant advised me to cease with them on the Thurs am.

Since then I have been down to one lens, the mistyness cleared quite quickly and really my only problem was frustration due to poor vision with only one eye (6/36, 6/18 pinhole right as corrected by my scleral lens and counting fingers left, no sceral lens in). That was until about 40 mins ago when I suddenly though 'oh whats that a bit of sleep/dirt however, it would not rinse or wipe away and after asking someone else to look for me it seems I have once again got a misty spot in my left eye. Although this time in a slightly diff place it seems as my vision is not quite as effected. It's not steamy/cloudy yet just the feeling of something stuck on my nose/side of my eye on top of the usual blurrynr=ess of vision.

What now I wonder???? Do I go and sit in casualty and wait again or what??? Sis on her way, with her torch and nurses opinion so will see. Not sure how easy I would get seen today as last time was a bit of an ordeal. Not sure what to do for the best. :(

Susan
don't let the people that mean nothing to you get you down, because in the end they are worth nothing to you, they are just your obstacles in life to trip you up!

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Re: Hydrops and Recent post with photo of eye and hydrops

Postby rosemary johnson » Sat 19 Jul 2008 4:26 pm

Susan do yu have a follow-up appointment booked with your consultant after he (?) saw you about the hydrops?
If so, when is it?
There are two schools of medical thought about hydrops, apparently. SOme medics will through half a pharmacy at it; the others reckon it is best left well alone to heal itself and sousing it in drugs is a waste of budget (at least).
After 4 hydrops (supposedly impossible....!) I wouldn't take (or instill) anything for it - other than possibly painkiller tablets which are cheaper in a supermarket. That's me.
If your mistiness cleared up, that sounds good news. from your description, it sounds as if another little bit could be opening up - or it could just be itching a bit where it is healing over. Ever had any other sort of cut, graze or other injury that itches as it heals over??
If you have an apointmnet coming up with your consulant (wo sounds like one of those "leave hydrops alone to heal" people) I'd keep it. If you haven't another, I'd try ot make one fairly soon.
If you think it could be hydrops-related, one has to wonder at the merit of going back pronto to see the same person/peple who gave you have a medicine cupboard your consulant then said not to use. THough of course, I am not a medic.
Of course it might have nothing to do with hydrops - and getting it checked out coudl never hurt.
Good luck with it, whatever it is.
Rosemary

tneedham
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby tneedham » Sun 20 Jul 2008 9:47 pm

If it were me, i would get it checked out.

After Hydrops in my left eye and only having useful vision in a right eye with sclerals (that are very iritable), i decided that the first sign of anything wrong with either eye merits a visit to eye casualty, even if they say nothing is wrong!

Regards

Tom

dazzabee
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby dazzabee » Thu 24 Jul 2008 12:52 am

I recently had hydrops. After a quick visit to Moorfields casualty they gave me two different types of drop.s One was to enlargen to dilate my pupil and the other was a low concentrate sodium choloride solution. However, when I was there I was told the best treatment was to hold a hair dryer on a medium heat on to my eye every day for 10-15 minutes which would literallly dry out the hydrops. And to my shock horror this worked superbly. Straight after using the hair dryer I could see a big improvement and after a 8 or 9 days of treatment they went. I had a course of drops for 3 weeks which I completed but the hair dryer seemed to do the trick very quickly.

I hope this helps.

Jay
Jay

Irregular Cornea Foundation
www.ic-f.org
E-mail info@ic-f.org
Tel: 01788 529 937

asylumxl
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby asylumxl » Thu 24 Jul 2008 5:34 pm

Hi hi, are you looking for my B&W one? :) If so, here it is. It's actually the scarring.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4385

If not, i'll shut up lol.

I've been put on the waiting list for a full-thickness transplant today.

tneedham
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby tneedham » Sat 26 Jul 2008 10:44 am

Are you serious Jay?

That sounds like a mental idea, but genious all the same.

Wish i had given it a go. I had my episode over 2 months ago and it still has a small patch of white there.

Tom

dazzabee
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby dazzabee » Thu 07 Aug 2008 1:31 am

I am deadly serious. Try it.

Recommended by a doctor at Moorfields and apparently it is in a book on KC by an author who's name escapes me.

Let me know how you get on.

Jay
Jay

Irregular Cornea Foundation
www.ic-f.org
E-mail info@ic-f.org
Tel: 01788 529 937

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 07 Aug 2008 6:10 am

Sounds like a good idea, but before embarking on any unorthodox treatments it may be a good idea just to run the idea past your ophthalmologist. What is suitable for one patient may not be suitable for all.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”