Just moved to Canada - I need help

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

mwana
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Just moved to Canada - I need help

Postby mwana » Tue 15 Jul 2008 3:54 pm

SORRY - I AM JUST LEARNING HOW TO USE THIS FORUM - I had posted this message on someone elses thread I am sorry.

Hi Everyone

I just joined the Forum yesterday... I was looking for help online and found this Forum and was very surprised and happy at the same time. I need people to chat to about my issues, people who understand what I am going through. When I tell my friends about my eyes and my journey they are usually appalled, agape and unable to comprehend or offer me any comfort!

My history - I am 40 (turned 40 this year in June!!!) and I am Kenyan! I found out I had keratokunus from a missionary hospital in Kenya in 1987. I was put on contact lenses and finally when my eye was too 'sharp' I had my first graft in 1990. And my second one in 1992. And in 1992 I came (went) to the UK to do my masters in Norwich - my stitches from my second operation were removed in Norwich at the eye hospital there. Not sure if anyone has experience with Norwich. And after my masters I went back to Kenya! So I have Kenya and UK experience as far as keratokonus is concerned.

Both my grafts were donations from gentlemen in the US and were 'shipped' to Kenya and I was very very blessed to have benefited from those grafts. Those days the technology for preserving grafts didnt exisit in Kenya. The disappointing thing for me was to have to wear contacts even after the operation. I had though the operation would heal me of all things.

Now my eyes tire easily and get red.. I guess cause of air conditioning ... and the vision in my right eye has changed... I cant see much through it so I am panicking.

I need help - I dont know what to do although I will try and see a doctor soon.

HELP NEEDED:
I just moved to Canada, greater Toronto area in April - does anyone know any good doctors here that I should see?

Thanks everyone and I look forward to your responses.
All things work together for good....

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Just moved to Canada - I need help

Postby rosemary johnson » Tue 15 Jul 2008 5:25 pm

Hallo Mwana, and welcome to the forums.
It does sound as if you should be going to see the eye doctor or hospital in Toronto. There could be many factors - including air conditioning, some sort of hay fever reaction or lots of other things.
I don't know anything about eye doctors myself, but I know a couple of people on another e-forum including one who works at Toronto Uni, so I'll ask them if they know.
GOod luck.
Rosemary

mwana
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby mwana » Tue 15 Jul 2008 6:02 pm

Rosemary

Thank you for responding.. and let me know when you get more information from your contact in Toronto.

Also thanks for responding to my question about whether or not a qualify for CXL or C3R - sadly I dont... absorbed that information rather sadly. What then are the options for those who have already had grafts but dont want to continue with gas permeable contact lenses... :|. Does anyone have an experience?
All things work together for good....

charlene godfrey
Contributor
Contributor

Postby charlene godfrey » Thu 17 Jul 2008 1:24 pm

i have a graft in left eye and am very comfortable wearing my glasses.I tried numerous contacts which i didnt get on with and so stuck with the glasses,Yes the perscriptions are very high but not so much now in my grafted eye but if it means i can carry on working and driving and running after a busy 4 year old then i was prepared to get used to them.I also thought that if your graft is no longer working you could have another one? but you would need to check this out as im not sure,Agree with others though you need to find a good doc good luck

Return to “General Discussion Forum”