Q for graftees - eye drops

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Q for graftees - eye drops

Postby rosemary johnson » Tue 27 May 2008 5:43 pm

Is anyone here who has had a graft recently NOT using steroid eye drops?
- and if so, what are you using?
I had a graft (PK, because I@ve had hydrops) 17 weeks ago tomorrow.
I'm using dexamethasone (also known by brand name Maxidex), 4 times a day.
I've also been recommended to use the same drops in my OTHER eye, as a counter-hay fever measure (the other eye was gettingvery red and sore from the h*y f*v*r).
And I'm also on rather a lot of inhaler steroids for asthma, which the hay fever sets off something rotten too - particularly this year.
And I'm getting a bit worried about the effects of all these steroids in my system...... long story.
I gather dexa/Maxidex is pretty standard for use after a graft.
But is anyone using anything else, and if so, is it a different steroid or something different?
Would love to know if there is an alternative to be considered...... if you see what I mean.
Rosemary

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Q for graftees - eye drops

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 28 May 2008 6:24 am

Rosemary

I did have steroids: dexamethasone at first in eye number one, then they changed it to prednisalone.

In eye number 2 I had dexamethasone.

I know why you would be worried about the multiplication of steroids: even topic application of steroids through an eyedroper will have some 'leak' as the local application becomes systemic.

The thing is that eye drops of steroids are so useful as anti-inflammatory drugs that it would be very difficult to contemplate transplant surgery without this sort of assistance to the healing process. Add asthma to the brew and the same thing is true about the need for anti-inflammatories in your air-ways.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Wed 28 May 2008 5:31 pm

I understand the principles, Andrew........
The eye drops "leak" to the extent that my nose is almost perpetually set solid and I get nose bleeds very easily. One of my new consultatn's team suggested I press the side of my nose LIKE THAT (!) just fter I put the drops in, which does seem to help a little, though it's harder to do neatly when using the drops in both eyes against the hay fever.
I also understand the principles of the asthma inhalers ...... but fro the way the bits of "bad trip" (not exactly "hallucinations" as not quite "seeing visions" but not far off) have been getting worse as the asthma season gets worse and I go for the inhalers more. Had two puffs of the preventer Monday evening and had a really horrid night, so am going to make an appointment with nurse-consultant at doctor's and ask if there is an alternative asthma med.
WOuld be nice to know about alternative eye drops too.... would also be nice to think could put them down a bit after next eye hosp appointment, too..... though they do seem to be keeping the hay fever induced red-swollen-ness down a bit.
Rosemary

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 29 May 2008 6:12 am

All the best with this, Rosemary. I'd also be interested to know if there is an alternative to steroid drops following eye surgery.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

dweezil1968
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby dweezil1968 » Mon 02 Jun 2008 6:32 pm

i only have allergan fluorometholone drops, are these a steroid? they are ok, but give no comfort as such, and i am bad at remembering to put them in as well............

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Tue 03 Jun 2008 9:50 am

Hi,
I've been on Maxidex since my PK in November. The doctor is very relctant to stop prescribing them, although I also react badly to the drops with bad congestion and nose bleeds. I think the drops are about the best cover against the threat of rejection, so I think we get stuck with them :cry: Prednisalone is probably worse in terms of steroidal build up. I wonder whether your Asthma doctor could take a look at the steroids you are taking and assess the suitability of the whole treatment? I know that my wife who has brittle asthma has tried varios combinations to try and get the control of the condition but keeping the stroid intake as low as possible.

Get a life...get a dog!

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Tue 03 Jun 2008 7:06 pm

Hi, and thanks for the replies.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one with bunged up nose and nose bleeds.
I have an appointment tomorrow at my GPs with Linda (the nurse-consultant, whatever they're called now) and intend to ask about the asthma inhalers.
I don't know what fluorometholone is, but will look it up (I think Allergan is a maker's name).
Rosemary

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Wed 04 Jun 2008 7:06 pm

Yes, I looked it up.
Fluorometholone is another corticosteroid, in the same group as dexamethosone.
Used in eye conditions as an anti-inflammatory.
Relative strength of the same weight or volume of the chemical not stated, but it sounds very similar.
Rosemary

Ste_Russ
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ste_Russ » Thu 05 Jun 2008 9:32 am

Hello

I ve been on PRED FORTE (prednisolone) since the graft Ive alson been on EXOCIN (ofloxacin) 3 times since operation ... 4 weeks after op then another week when I had bubble injected and have been told to put drops in for another 4 days since having a stitch removed.

I will be on Pred forte till iam told to stop the consultant has told me... I suffer from allergies and have a blocked/runny nose off and on most of the year . I have not noticed anything different taking the drops ..no less blocked/runny nose.

Only thing is the taste after 5mins when pred forte gets to my throat..not nice tho a bit of chocolate removes the taste :lol:

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Thu 05 Jun 2008 11:51 pm

Hi.
Prednisolone is another corticosteroid - I think it is stronger than dexamethasone, probably because of the allergies.
Sorry to hear of the allergies and runny/bunged up nose BTW.
Ofloxacin I've never heard of (and will look up) but it sounds like an antibiotic. Probably prophylactic (ie. "just in case"). I've had 2 sorts, one stuck in during the op and the other as drops afterwards but have now stopped.
Hope your drops are doing the trick for you.
Rosemary

Return to “General Discussion Forum”