what are the most comfortable font and background colors for

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

eman samir
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

what are the most comfortable font and background colors for

Postby eman samir » Wed 21 May 2008 3:39 pm

i know it differs from one to another but i wanna know your opinions.for me i find the blue background and white font are the best for me.
for indeed,it is not the eyes that grow blind but it is the hearts which are within the bosoms that grow blind...

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: what are the most comfortable font and background colors for

Postby rosemary johnson » Wed 21 May 2008 5:51 pm

Hi.
It does indeed differ a great deal from person to person which type face, colour scheme, point size, etc etc are most legible.
Personally, I prefer a font with a serif, such as Times, or Times New Roman, or Swiss/Helvetica more legible, and find san serif fonts much harder in general, and Ariel practically illegible.
Apparently, there are more people with vision disabilities out there who find san serif type faces easier than who find seriffed ones - however, those of us in the "minority camp" (allegedly) most definitely find it the other way round. It is thus very unfortunate that this finding has in some quarters been misunderstood to mean san serif, and Ariel in particular, are always easier to read - it ain't so!
THe best approach when building web pages, or sending emails even, is to make sure that you do not set any type face, point size or colour scheme in stone yourself, but make it so that each reader's computer system, style sheet, special equipment, etc can convert your text to whatever the user has set as their most convenient settings.
Personally, I'm still using old-fashioned "green-screen" computer kit, so everything I get is in the same typeface/pointsize - the standard hardware defined ones that go with my screen.
I do reset the colour scheme to be black background, with either green or white writing.
On paper, I'm not too bothered by colour per se as long as there is a good contrast between a solid colour and a pale paper - black or navy on white, cream, pale pink or pale blue for example are fine. But red, brown or purple paper are a struggle, as are green, brown or orange text on white, or text printed across a shaded or patterned background - worst of all is text across a picture.
Rosemary

Luca
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Luca » Wed 21 May 2008 11:32 pm

Subtitles in movies can be a pain if you ask me... :D

eman samir
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby eman samir » Thu 22 May 2008 12:04 am

yes you are right.
for indeed,it is not the eyes that grow blind but it is the hearts which are within the bosoms that grow blind...

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 22 May 2008 9:05 am

I like yellow on blue. My Mac allows me to select screen colour and font colour, but if I do alter them, pictures always look weird!

Most of the time I use the ordinary black-on-white configuration that gives all colours and greys as they were originated, but if my eyes become tired I change to yellow on blue.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”