Sore Eyes

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

bunnykins
Contributor
Contributor

Sore Eyes

Postby bunnykins » Thu 15 May 2008 7:21 pm

Hi,
I have worn RGP's for 7 years. Over the past couple of weeks I have suffered from irritation and soreness in both eyes. I also suffer from hayfever...could this be a cause. My sensitivity to light has also increased. When I put my lenses in the morning my eyes run and I find it difficult to keep them open. I have used the same solution (AMO Total Care) for 7 years. ANy advice would be most appreciated.
thanks
Emma.

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Sore Eyes

Postby melissa » Fri 16 May 2008 7:04 am

Hi Emma,

It could be many things causing the irritation, but if you are experiencing pain and intolerance to the lenses I would suggest that you see your opthalmologist.
It may be the hayfever or an allergy to the solution (I also used a solution for years and then suddenly became irritated by it)- or more seriously it could be an infection like conjuntivitis... if there is pain- there may be damage to the cornea's surface. See your doctor...

bunnykins
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bunnykins » Fri 16 May 2008 10:53 am

thanks, I am going to see him today. My eyes are a lot better today, I used a protein remover on my lenses last night.How often should I be doing this?

thanks

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 17 May 2008 9:22 am

I used protein remover once a week. Certainly a built up of protein on your lenses would give you poor vision and sore eyes; add to that the effect of hay fever and you have got a good going dose of ocular itch!

What did your optometrist say?

If the time has come for you to think about different sorts of contact lens, there are lots to try; hard materials and soft materials, big lenses and little lenses.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby melissa » Mon 19 May 2008 9:46 am

I don't use a protein remover at all. I had a bad experience when I didn't rinse it off properly and burnt my eyes. Apparently you really have to RUB it off, and I have been too scared to try again. I use an All-in-One solution with a protein remover and when I get a bad build-up I take them to my optometrist and he 'polishes' them. I am lucky to have really easy access to him, but only need to have it done every 3/4 months.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 19 May 2008 12:03 pm

That's wise advice. Agitate the lens under clean saline and then rub between thumb and forefinger of hand; repeat.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby donna » Sun 25 May 2008 2:29 pm

I get hayfever, I react very badly to pollen and get swollen glands in my throat, itchy ears, neck and the roof of my mouth gets itchy. Pollen makes my eyes sore aswell. I get eye drops on prescription called olpanthanol ( i think) and they sometimes help.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”