intacs

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

wassupade

intacs

Postby wassupade » Thu 17 Mar 2005 8:53 pm

Hi All

i was supposed to go into hospital next week to have a corneal graft done on my right eye as i suffer from KC. However i was asked to meet with the sergans who were going to do the operation who told me that istead of doing the grafts straight away they were recomending that i try a material called intacs. does anyone know if these are sucessfull for KC sufffers as all i can find on the net abou intacs relate to people who have problems with short sight. am i doing the right thing?
a.waller

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Thu 17 Mar 2005 10:03 pm

Hi!!

No - intacs are for keratoconics as well... here is a link that explains the procedure

http://www.intacsforkeratoconus.com/mai ... edure.html

Your surgeons are being very wise in recommending you to try this before grafting. A graft is not the instant cure-all you may think, as it can take a couple of years before it settles and there is always a chance of rejection. It is always best to explore every option before going for grafting.

ntacs may very well be the answer for you in the short term. However, it is hard to give better advice as I do not know your individual case - have you tried contact lenses already?

Lynn

Rs

intac

Postby Rs » Fri 18 Mar 2005 5:46 pm

hi
Is it true that transplant procedure take place when eyes are in bad condition but intac can be used when eyes are not so bad may be moderate?
love
rs

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Fri 18 Mar 2005 6:20 pm

Hi Rs

Yes.. transplants tend to be the last option - intacs work best on not so bad corneas!

Lynn

Return to “General Discussion Forum”