My Story

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

alvin18
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Re: My Story

Postby alvin18 » Thu 18 Dec 2008 8:05 am

Have to ask next time. Last time also I mentioned double vision but he did not mention anything about astigmatism...

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 18 Dec 2008 9:45 am

If you are worried about this, why not phone? They will either give you an earlier appointment or offer you some reassurance.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

alvin18
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby alvin18 » Tue 30 Jun 2009 5:01 pm

HI!

I'v read the forum regularly, but not posted for a while. So a little update.

20. Jan 2009 - Regular appointment. The last one so far. I saw my doctor last time. He just checked my left, grafted eye, after removing last stitches in Nov 2008. Everything looked beautiful, if not to mention cataract which developed due to eye drops (check 2008 17. Nov appointment). We, doc and me, do not agree about next appointment. He just asked to come back somewhere in autumn to check what can be done with this cataract.

30. Jun 2009 - My left eye, the grafted one, has been stable since Jan 2009. If you check the posts above you can read that vision is not good in grafted eye, but it is stable. I do not use any aids yet in my left eye. I do my regular work with no complaints and wait for autumn.

One day I noticed, that I have to tilt my head to see better vertical lines/objects with my RIGHT eye, the good one:( Right eye was last checked somewhere in 2008, but then there was not any signs about keratoconus. Can it be a sign of keratoconus or something else??? Maybe it's been there more than year or two, but noticed this lately when I tried to count plasterboards. It does not disturb me much, but still a little concerned. I have also watched a calendar on the wall from time to time from constant distance, about a year or so and in this way I do not see any changes in my right eye. Strange. Any thoughts?

Because my left eye is still not ready to help me I cant imagine what happens if the vision in right eye decreases :cry:

Alvin

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 30 Jun 2009 6:58 pm

Keratoconus usually comes to affect both eyes; one first and then both. You have had a graft into your previously worst eye, and in time you will be given some visual aids (lenses or glasses) to give you optimal vision in that eye.

Meantime, don't worry too much about your other eye: do mention it to your optometrist and ophthalmologist; they will assess it and offer whatever correction seems appropriate. Above all; DON'T PANIC. Actually, I did try panic as a coping strategy, but it didn't work. :D

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Tue 30 Jun 2009 8:33 pm

Tilting ones head to make lines cleared is a symptom of astigmatism, it could be as simple as that which is easily corrected with glasses. A regular eye exam would answer that question and is soemthing we should all have outside our normal hospital appointments. The hospital generally only look at the cornea and KC progression and don't have time to check the rest of the eyes health, something you can still get ata reasonable price from any high street optician.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”